Garage Door Won't Close Properly. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door won't close properly.

Hi,

My garage door won't close properly, because the door is not level any more, here is the picture,

left side

right side

obviously, the left side already touch the floor.

any easy solution?

Thanks.

peter

Advertisement

laopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

Is see a crack in the slab. You are concerned with the ceneter portion on the opening, which could have settled slightly.

To help determine the cause get a long straightedge and check the door bottom when is a foot or so of the concrete and then check the levelness of the slab for one side to the other to determine if it has settled. It could be a combination of the two.

You could also apply a flexible rubber gasket to the bottom of the door to get a better seal.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Are there 2 springs on the door? If so, the tension on the springs needs some attention. To adjust them can be tricky.
I would suggest calling in a professional, unless you know what you are doing.
The garage springs are now 'loaded' and are rather testy.
I've picked guys up off the floor after having one go random on them. It ain't pretty.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

"because the door is not level any more" With all due respect to the OP, have you taken a long level and checked the bottom of the garage door when it is approximately one foot above the concrete surface it is supposed to close against? I have installed many a garage door, and made many a repair on them. That is where I would start. When I say a long level, I mean as long as you have or can borrow, a small 9" level is not really the one to use. A 36" level is good, longer is better. IF the garage door is level then, or course, you have a problem with your slab. But--IF the garage door is not level, it can be leveled. You need to determine if the door has a "torsion rod", or the two long springs. The torsion rod will have wound up springs directly over the door. Pull/tension springs are somewhat in line with the door tracks. IF it is the torsion rod type I highly recommend you call in someone who is experienced with this. Torsion rod suspensions can/will hurt you IF YOU are not experienced with them. They do require special tools for adjustment. Most of the doors with the two long tension springs I have experienced have a way to adjust the cable which goes to each side of the door. IF this door is not level: Place something under the side of the door which needs to come UP to bring the door to level. Then note the tension on the cables coming from the bottom (usually) of the door, up to the springs and to where the cable(s) attach in some manner. There are many different ways they attach these cable. At this attachment point is where the adjustment is made. Determine how much you need to adjust and raise the door to relieve spring tension before doing the adjustments. The spring should still have some tension, but it's manageable. IF you are not comfortable with doing this--then don't, call in someone. Be careful, Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Door level did not change, the floor settled. Also, was there weather seal originally along the edge, and has been removed, or was never installed.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Laopi,
Is your door a tilt up door? It doesn't look like a sectional rollup to me. Regardless, it looks like the cement settled on the right side. If that's the case, they do make a larger rubber seal for the bottom that should take up the gap shown in your picture. The seals are held in an aluminum channel that is screwed to the bottom edge of your door. Check with a local garage door repairman. It's not a big expense. Have him take a look at your door while he is there just to make sure everything is operating properly.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Laopi,
Is your door a tilt up door? It doesn't look like a sectional rollup to me. Regardless, it looks like the cement settled on the right side. If that's the case, they do make a larger rubber seal for the bottom that should take up the gap shown in your picture. The seals are held in an aluminum channel that is screwed to the bottom edge of your door. Check with a local garage door repairman. It's not a big expense. Have him take a look at your door while he is there just to make sure everything is operating properly.
Mike Hawkins
thank you for your reply,

yes, it's tilt up door, when I try to close the door, it looks fine until the door hit the floor, then the door will open automaticly.

peter
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Door level did not change, the floor settled. Also, was there weather seal originally along the edge, and has been removed, or was never installed.
there is no any sealer since I moved in.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"because the door is not level any more" With all due respect to the OP, have you taken a long level and checked the bottom of the garage door when it is approximately one foot above the concrete surface it is supposed to close against? I have installed many a garage door, and made many a repair on them. That is where I would start. When I say a long level, I mean as long as you have or can borrow, a small 9" level is not really the one to use. A 36" level is good, longer is better. IF the garage door is level then, or course, you have a problem with your slab. But--IF the garage door is not level, it can be leveled. You need to determine if the door has a "torsion rod", or the two long springs. The torsion rod will have wound up springs directly over the door. Pull/tension springs are somewhat in line with the door tracks. IF it is the torsion rod type I highly recommend you call in someone who is experienced with this. Torsion rod suspensions can/will hurt you IF YOU are not experienced with them. They do require special tools for adjustment. Most of the doors with the two long tension springs I have experienced have a way to adjust the cable which goes to each side of the door. IF this door is not level: Place something under the side of the door which needs to come UP to bring the door to level. Then note the tension on the cables coming from the bottom (usually) of the door, up to the springs and to where the cable(s) attach in some manner. There are many different ways they attach these cable. At this attachment point is where the adjustment is made. Determine how much you need to adjust and raise the door to relieve spring tension before doing the adjustments. The spring should still have some tension, but it's manageable. IF you are not comfortable with doing this--then don't, call in someone. Be careful, Good Luck, David
thanks, maybe I should find someone to do it for me.

Advertisement