Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Won't Close

I opened my garage door today and when it was fully open, I heard some sort of thump or click.

Later on, when I tried to close it, it would not close.

I just get a buzzing sound from the garage door opener. Looking at the back of the opener, I can see an orange light flashing 5 times.

I don't think it has anything to do with the safety sensors, as the door close fine prior to me opening it, and there are no obstructions. The lights on the sensors are green.

This is a Chamberlain model, probably 12 years old.

Any idea?

Last edited by handy man88; 09-28-2010 at 06:39 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #2

Garage Door Won't Close

5 lights, I believe, is a motor overload. Unplug it, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in, and see what you have. But, use the time that it is unplugged to check that you don't have a broken spring, cocked trolley wheel, or something like that. It could be something as innocent as the fact that you had low voltage when it burped, but more than likely there is another cause.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #3

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
5 lights, I believe, is a motor overload. Unplug it, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in, and see what you have. But, use the time that it is unplugged to check that you don't have a broken spring, cocked trolley wheel, or something like that. It could be something as innocent as the fact that you had low voltage when it burped, but more than likely there is another cause.
I unlatched the door from the opener, and it still does not move. Reading online, there could be an issue with the logic board, which costs $65. For that price, and the fact that I have a 12 year old opener, it may be better to buy a new opener.

Most openers come with standard 6 ft. of rail. Is that typically enough for your standard 1998 home?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

Garage Door Won't Close

What are the benefits of chain drive vs. belt drive?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
What are the benefits of chain drive vs. belt drive?
Belt drives and screw drives are quieter then the chain drives.
You might want to install a surge protector on the new one as the boards are sensitive to lighting strikes.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #6

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
I unlatched the door from the opener, and it still does not move.
If you unlatched it and it did not move then it sounds like a mechanical problem, the 5 flashes might be the motor overloading, do a visual inspection, with it latched and find what is causing it not to move while unlatched.
jddavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddavis View Post
If you unlatched it and it did not move then it sounds like a mechanical problem, the 5 flashes might be the motor overloading, do a visual inspection, with it latched and find what is causing it not to move while unlatched.
I ran the tests that the online manual says, and it's probably a bad logic board.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Mod

Garage Door Won't Close

If you unhooked the door from the opener and still will not move then something’s binding.

You said you heard a clunk. Check to see that all of your track bolts are tight and that the track isn’t bent.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Garage Door Won't Close

Kwik, I thought the same thing at first, but that seemed too obvious, so after reading it several times, and trying to put everything in context, I finally decided that he meant that the trolley on the opener wasn't moving. I don't know, but that seemed to make the most sense.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #10

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If you unhooked the door from the opener and still will not move then something’s binding.

You said you heard a clunk. Check to see that all of your track bolts are tight and that the track isn’t bent.
I don't think the track is bent, but I do want to loosen the gear so that I can slide the inner trolley back and forth. I read somewhere that there's a bolt that can be loosened, but it's not visible from the outside.

Last edited by handy man88; 09-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #11

Garage Door Won't Close

Releasing the trolley from the drive should allow manual movement of the door. If it doesn't move, something is wrong with the trolley that holds it around the track or the door rollers etc are goofed up.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
HVAC / Plumbing

Garage Door Won't Close

Do you have large torsion springs on a bar across the top of the door ?
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #13

Garage Door Won't Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Releasing the trolley from the drive should allow manual movement of the door. If it doesn't move, something is wrong with the trolley that holds it around the track or the door rollers etc are goofed up.
I did release the outer trolley and closed the door. It's the inner trolley that is driven by the motor that doesn't freely moving.

The motor drives a worm gear that turns the sprocket holding the chain. When I press the open button, I just hear a buzz.

I guess if time permits, I'll have to open up the cover to see if there's something jammed.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #14

Garage Door Won't Close

Unless there are physical cut-off switches, when the door operates normally the logic board will sense the higher amps drawn and assumes it is fully open/closed/hitting something.
This is a good saftey feature to stop motors.

I'm guessing there's an internal stopper which broke and is caught on something.

Since the door itself can be slid easily, try unplugging the unit, taking off the cover, and manually turning the screw drive back and forth gently.

Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote