Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage door vertical tracks

I have two large garage doors, and they don't seem to seal all that well with the weatherstripping outside and how they are inside relative to the wall (i know there is supose to be some gap)

I noticed that the builder put the vertical part of the track so it is not plumb, at the top it is about half an inch further away from the outside wall then it is at the bottom...

Is this supose to be like this or should this track of been plumb? thanks!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

The vertical track on a sectional garage door is not supposed to be plumb. Look at the end hinges where they hold the rollers, they are stepped out progressively. When the door opens, it moves back away from the from wall/weatherstripping so it doesn't drag against them, in the same way when closing, it moves down and into them to seal.

The door should have been hung and adjusted so it operates properly, then the weatherstripping set with the door all the way down so it seals around the perimeter.

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDaveGuy View Post
The vertical track on a sectional garage door is not supposed to be plumb. Look at the end hinges where they hold the rollers, they are stepped out progressively. When the door opens, it moves back away from the from wall/weatherstripping so it doesn't drag against them, in the same way when closing, it moves down and into them to seal.

The door should have been hung and adjusted so it operates properly, then the weatherstripping set with the door all the way down so it seals around the perimeter.
humm didn't think about the rollers, maybe they just did a horrible job with the weatherstripping then

when the wind blows the doors move about half an inch back, I assume that is not normal though? I've never seen a door do that, I've seen it move a little, but not like these are
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #4

Probably didn't trim it our right, yes. While it is possible to adjust the tracks, that's your worst option, if the doors operate properly, remove the weatherstripping around the opening and reattach it. There needs to be some "give" to the door, some flex in it so that it doesn't just take all the wind loading, but when closed it should be fairly fixed, with the weatherstripping flexed against the door sections to seal air gaps.
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote