Garage Door Removal - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door removal

So I will try to make this brief. Quick question though. So I have a home that is slab on grade. There used to be a garage under the home. I am removing the garage door and putting up a window and a stud wall where the garage door was.
So the question is....do I need to pour a small stem wall the height of the stem wall arond the rest of the home? Or should I just use expansion bolts and bolt a treated piece of lumber directly onto the slab?
I was planning on pouring a stem wall but I am not sure if it would even seal as well as a board directly on the slab. Plus since the origingal header form the garage door is still intact very little weight will be on this footer. If I do need to pour a stem wall is rebar reinforcement nessacary?
Thanks for any and all help!

Advertisement

fishinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

garage door removal

I have seen hundreds of garages converted to living space doing exactly what you are doing...no stem required. You will get a better seal using the treated sill plate and sill seal or silicone, then you would with a cold joint in concrete.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
Property Manager

Rewards Points: 25

garage door removal

Just another thought but not to rain on your parade, in Canada there are many municipalities that are not allowing cars to be parked directly in front of living space. They have introduced these types of bylaws for safety reasons and it therefore doesn’t allow most home owners to convert their garage to living space or even widen their driveway to fit another car.
MrNoMaintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

garage door removal

Wow thanks for the responses guys! So am I to assume that is what most of you would do?
It sure would be easier to simply bolt a piece of treated lumber directly to the slab and not worry about pouring any mud!
so what do you think a 1/2" expansion bolt every 2'? across the 10' doorway?
fishinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 258

garage door removal

I had an addition put on a slab - better check the local building codes - mine stated that there had to be "X" amount of both thickness and height of brick - with the bottom board attached to this.
tribe_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

garage door removal

I'd probably go with the pt wood on the conc. unless: check the slope and the wind. Occasional wind driven rain coming in to a garage is one thing, under your sill is another, you don't want to rely on caulking.

Advertisement

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote