Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Questions: closing sides and safety reversal

Just bought a house and the garage needs some serious attention... I'm certain to be a regular here, but we're still moving so first two really basic things:

The GD opener seems to predate the house construction but it's solid as a rock, so I'm replacing all the controls with Genie Intellicode stuff that matches some remotes I have. The problem is that the tension reversal safety screws (not sure what they are called) are set to KILL apparently...

The door won't stop for anything. I can't find basic info on the net for how to go about adjusting the safety reversal. I know it has something to do with screws, because the inspector pointed out the screws on the sides.

So first question is, what method to adjust the safety reversal amount?

Second, the whole garage is bare studs and the GD isn't insulated, however the biggest immediate problem is there are approximately 1-1.5" gaps between the garage door and the framing when closed. What is the best way to have the garage door seal on the sides (& top probably) when closed.

The tracks are straight, the whole door is just set back... not sure if I'm missing some pieces or if it should be moved forward (or to avoid moving the tracks, trimming the frame back to meet the door. I need to know materials too, as well as how to install to get closure of the gap.

jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

Post a picture of the garage door/rough opening relationship.
To adjust the opener, go to the manufacturers website and download the manual.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

It will be a few days until I go down there, but I'll post photos.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Most garage doors are set behind the rough opening. How they are trimmed out is you take some lumber and attach it to the rough opening to make it so that it is just covering the edges of the door. You can use exterior trim pieces to do this or just use regular lumber and wrap it with aluminum. Once you have the opening timmed out you have to go to the store and get some garage door weather trim. This is a piece of trim usually out of vinyl that has a rubber flap on it. Cut this to fit your opening and nail it to the opening with the rubber flap overlapping the GD. Once you do this all the way around you will have a garage door that is pretty weather tight. Good luck
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #5

On closer examination, it looks like the tracks are correct and the trim is correct (although I still want to add something to seal better) but the bearings or bearing sleeves are inconsistent.. ?

The door gaps at some bearings not at others (Note it's flush in the middle bearing of this pic):

Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

Home Depot and Lowes sell the correct trim for garage doors. It will solve you problem, make it look better and it easy to do. You can buy it to match the door or buy paint it to match the your exterior trim.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #7

Did you put the correct brackets on the garage door sections? They're not interchangable.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #8

We just bought the house... I wouldn't be suprised if the brackets were misplaced though. The longest two brackets are at the top however, and the top corner also does not sit correctly, although it looks like the top is adjustible.

Perhaps I can shim or adjust the other brackets, or relocate them to better match. Is there a system apart from the longest being a the top to close the top edge? Like if there is a pair that are shorter than the rest where do they go?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

Typically the rails get closer to the wall the further down they go. To compansate for this the roller brackets get wider the further they go up so the door will fit flat vertically. It sounds like one is switched. Also some doors have ajustable brackets, see if one came out of adjustment.
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Household Handyman

Looking at the first picture, I would say someone has gotten the roller brackets mixed up when installing the door. You will notice that there are adjustments in the brackets that hold the track to the framing, but your mis-alignment is at the meeting point of the door sections, which has no adjustment. Depending on the door manufacturer, your roller brackets may be numbered as to their respective position(s). Look on the door for the manufacturers name, do a search for them to see if you can find installation instructions. Or--maybe this door is from a local big box store and they just might copy the installation instructions for you. The same goes for the door closure/reversing mechanism, find the manufacturers website for instructions on the adjustment. Once you get the roller brackets into their respective positions, you should have a nice straight line between the GD and the door framing. Then, you can use the vinyl seal to create a good seal. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #11

Good info everyone... I've been running in and out moving so I'll take a closer look and then follow up when I get a chance to do something about it.