Garage Door Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Question

I have been reviewing the Garage Door questions in the archives and none seem to match what I need to know so I figured I'd ask.

I have a new 8 x 7' clopay insulated door. I need to remove the track and lower the garage door opener so I can put up a vapor barrier and 5/8" sheetrock above it. What is the best way to get this done? Can I just remove the brackets from the ceiling without having to disengage the extension springs? Someone previously told me to place vice grips on the springs to secure them but I prefer to double check everything that I'm told if it doesn't quite sit well with me.

I can take pictures if necessary. I believe there's a total of 9 bolts, three on the door opener's track and three each on the T bracket for the low clearance tracks.

I appreciate any and all information that you can put forth on this. I am going to try to finish this project before Friday so I can get my garage done.

Advertisement

wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Garage Door Question

The springs would need to be relaxed in order to remove the back-hang overhead track with the door in the shut position. Go to Coplay's site and inform yourself first. The track will flex and possibly cause pain..... Just drywall around the perf metal "L' bar or have it re-hung.

Gary

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #3

Garage Door Question

Thank you for the response. I will do that so I have a better idea of what's going on prior to attempting anything that could be detrimental to my health.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Garage Door Question

I definitely do NOT recommend maintenance or removal of torsion-type garage door springs as a DIY project, but if you want some idea of what can be involved, take a look here:

How I Replaced Deadly Garage Door Torsion Springs ... (and lived to tell the tale)

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

Garage Door Question

Thank you for the link. I understand that terminology can change, but that is different than what I have. I have two large springs perpendicular to the door extending into the garage. I think these are referred to as Extension Springs or that might just be around here? Interesting reading though.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Chicago, IL

Garage Door Question

Sorry, all the Clopay doors I've seen were a torsion string design...
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,002

Garage Door Question

Wikkie,
When I used to hang doors in the new houses before drywall, which I didn't recommend btw, but that's what the builder wanted. The drywall guys would usually drwall around the angle irons on the ceiling. With your spring setup and that size door not being that heavy, you could disconnect the springs easy enough, especially with another person there to help.
Put the door in the up position. There is hardly any tension on the springs now. Put a vise grip on one of the rollers and clamp it to the rail. Snugly, but don't squish the heck out of it. Now you can disconnect the springs one at a time by removing the S hook that is attached to the cable that runs around the pulley that is attached to the spring. Note or mark which hole the hook is in. The S hook will be in one of the holes in the rail close to the front of the garage. Once you have both cable disconnected, the springs are no longer under tension, nor are they going to hold the door up. With your helper on one side of the door and you on the other, unclamp the vise grip and slowly lower the door without letting it slam down. It isn't that heavy for that size door. Go ahead and disconnect what you have to for your drywalling. I would take a few measurements where each angle is and make a little drawing up just you can get them back up in the same place easily. Should be held up with lag bolts with 7/16's heads. If you have a cordless impact, it would make things real easy.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #8

Garage Door Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Sorry, all the Clopay doors I've seen were a torsion string design...
But a good cautionary post anyway
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

Garage Door Question

Just an update:

Thank you all for the information and the knowledge. With a lot of knowledge provided by this forum and the right tools, I got everything completed and have a fully sealed ceiling as opposed to drywalling around my doors. Thanks again.

Advertisement