Garage Door Opening - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door opening

I have constructed a corrugated metal building (30Lx25Wx13H). It is free-standing and I am ready to add wood framed end-walls. These, of course, are non-load bearing. I am putting a 16 ft. segmented residential door (nominal weight) at the opening. What size header and framing will I need to span the opening? Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

pstrulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Garage door opening

Maybe I'm missing something, but if the exterior walls are not load-bearing, why would you need any header above the door?

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the exterior walls are not load-bearing, why would you need any header above the door?
Thanks for responding. The wall will be a total of 13 ft. high, obviously 6 ft. above the door opening. So the wall won't be supporting the building, but the framing above the door. I'm just wanting to make sure that a 16 ft. span will be sufficiently supported.
pstrulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Garage door opening

Ah. Now I understand.

Assuming the top plate of that wall will be fastened to the frame of the building, and that that frame is fairly strong, you're already getting quit a bit of load relief without a header. I would guess that a 2x6 header would suffice. A 2x8 header would be even better, and thats what I would probably go with.

framing above the door
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote