Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Openers / doors

Does anyone know of any Genie garage door openers that support two doors via one control? I have two doors right now I'd love to be able to open either one from one controller even if it means replacing two openers... I know Craftsman openers have this feature... but I dont like chain driven systems myself... any suggestions?

also while on the subject how well should a garage door seal against the wall? one of my doors has about a 1/4th inch gap and you can't see any light through it the other one the gap varies from 1/4th inch all the way to over a half inch and you can see light through the weather stripping around the door around most of it... any way to adjust this so it closes tighter? the weather stripping is flush with the wall (the brickmold that has that rubber flap on it, the molding part is flush on both doors.. it seems like its just the door that is out of alignment or something)

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

I can't answer the door opener part, other than to suggest going to the Genie website, and/or contacting your local door company, but you've probably tried those things.

As for the door, the brackets that hold the track to the jamb should have slots where you can adjust them in and out, and they will sometimes come loose over time, so you should be able to loosen the screws, usually right in the track, where the rollers would be, move them in tighter, and tighten the screws. Depending on how it was frame and trimmed though, sometimes there is not enough adjustment, in which case you could modify or replace the brackets, or, what I would so, is simply rest the jamb trim, so that the rubber seals tight against the door. Just happened to think too that, depending on how old the door is, you may want to look at the rollers, so see if perhaps the shafts are bent or worn, which could also cause the gap.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Bluebush,
Genie and Liftmaster both make multi-button remotes that can handle up to three doors. The openers have to be from the same series, electronics wise. They don't have to necessarily match exactly. In other words, if they were both installed at the same time, the matching remote would work. Now, that being said, if you openers are very old, you may not find multi-button remotes that will work with the old technology. If you are buying new openers, just get a m/b remote at the same time and you should be all set.
Not sure what kind of doors you have. If you have modern steel doors, the vertical section of track is not adjustable. They have a built in offset that that is tapered, and is matched to the thickness of the door sections. The vinyl weatherstrips will show light through if they are white. As long as they are sealing up against the outside of the door, don't worry about them.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote