Garage Door Opener Reverse Mount - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Garage Door Opener Reverse Mount

Normally a garage door opener is installed with the head unit away from the door (over the windshield of the car.)

Are there any units that work with the head unit close to the door (over the car bumper) but don't require going to a torsion bar set-up??

Advertisement

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Cgoll,
Not sure what you are trying to do, could you provide a little bit more info or expanation? I have never installed an opener backwards like you seem to be asking. However, chamberlin does make a unit that attaches to one end of the torsion bar and doesn't use a rail at all. Do you have a lack of headroom (low ceiling) situation?
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

A friend has a beam in his garage that would preclude the normal mount. The torsion bar method is an option, but thought I'd see what the folks here knew about a reverse mount.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
A friend has a beam in his garage that would preclude the normal mount. The torsion bar method is an option, but thought I'd see what the folks here knew about a reverse mount.
My brother has a low beam in his 1911 carraige house. We just mounted the opener over the front bumper and extended the openers' reach with slotted angle iron.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Phil

Rewards Points: 75

There is a type of opener from Wayne Dalton that has the torsion rod going through the motor. Very compact and fool proof. Other designs use two motors which adds expense and they often fail to work properly and stay in sync. I had a garage door installer tell me they just cut a hole in the glue lam. The real problem is the tracking for the garage door and the height for the opener bar which is why the torsion rod mount style is a lot simpler to install if you have a roll up type of door.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Cgoll,
Can you post some pics? I have mounted openers above the beam before. Sometimes it is necessary to use a longer rail, which is available for the openers from a garage door distributor. I would like to see what your situation is, you have me curious. I have done some crazy things to mount these in the past. There has only been one time when I had to pass on an install. It was a shed roof garage and there was absolutely no head room above the door and a beam in the way. The roof rafters were going in the wrong direction so I couldn't cheat a little and mount the rail up in between.
Mike Hawkins
Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #7

Mike,

Can't post pics as it is not my house! It is a work friend's and he's already on leave for the holidays. This was more a rhetorical question for the time being.

After I looked at my own doors, I realize that the reverse mount idea doesn't work because the head unit takes up too much space to close the door properly.

Sorry for the distraction!

Philly: Thanks for the tip on the Wayne Dalton. I'll pass that to my friend.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Automatic garage door openers have a safety reverse function to reverse the door direction if it see's an obstruction from the sensor or it physically hits something as it's closing. A reverse mount opener is asking for trouble. Openers are designed to reverse direction when traveling in the down direction. When moving up, in a reverse installation you lose that built-in safety feature.

Having been in that industry and involved with lawsuits and very serious injury to children I strongly recommend you follow the manufacturers install process.

I won't go into the horror stories here but will say that any injury associated with an installation, even 20 years down the road, you will be held liable along with anyone else associated with the install.

As mentioned, look into the WD torsion opener. That might be your only option that is safe and legal.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Liftmaster has a side-mount opener that receives good reviews. I believe the model # is 3800.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Mine is reverse mount over the garage door. I have a low hanging beam in the garage as well. It works great. Not sure how it was done but it was already that way when I moved in. The auto reverse also work as well so there's no issue there. when you open the door the motor pushes the chain away to open the door and pull to close instead of the standard way that you're used to. I kind of neat. I'm looking at replacing my door to a roll up door (currently wood) and may end up getting a new motor but I'm not sure if anyone out there know how to recreate what I have now. I like the way it looks.
EmailShmemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Post some photos of this. I'm curious as to how it was installed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #12

Here you go. The first photo shows you that I have a beam going across the center of my garage. The other photos shows you how it's mount against the front and runs to the beam.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1137655...rQE&feat=email#
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #13

Pretty interesting. I can see why they did that. The opener doesn't really care, with the exception if it senses something in the way, it will close instead of open. That must be out west, nobody around here uses that type of door or spring system.
Mike Hawkins
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #14

Actually the sensors works fine. It automatically opens when something gets in the way. I'm guessing you just have to hook it to left side of the chain instead of the right. The house was built in 1990 but I'm not sure how old the opener is.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #15

So I finally got my garage door replaced. The existing mount that I showed you all would not work with the new door since it requires a longer track. As you know the wood door only goes inside bout 2/3 and 1/3 stays outside. With the new steel door, all of the door would be on the inside. And since I have that beam smack in the middle, the track couldn't be extended any longer. The guy I worked with was pretty knowledgeable and gave me a few options. One is to go with a similar motor but mount in on the ground upside down on one side of the garage. it would take up the space on the side but will work. The other option is to go with the JackShaft. I was a bit skeptical about the jackshaft from reading the reviews regarding the Wayne Dolton idrive that was crappy a while back. The guy told me that yes WD did screw up the idrive but Liftmaster new Jackshaft was a big improvement. So I ended up going with the JackShaft 3800 from LM. Very clean and extremely quiet. I'm very impressed.

Advertisement