Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Opener Chain/Cable Fix

The cable/chain for my garage door is coming unwound and I need to replace it. It is a Craftsman garage door opener. The replacement part is # 41A3473. I was wondering if I can just replace the cable portion.
It looks like I can attach the cable loop to one end, attached by a bike chain-type link. I have the tool to remove the link. The other side is just the cable looped through the chain link on the other side (with a black plastic connector).
I was wondering if I could buy the cable separately (for about $5 online), and use some connector (like the black plastic). I would think there is some connector I can get from the hardware store, but not sure which will work best. I think this is what the repair people do, since they would not order the complete cable/chain, but have a cable, cut it, and just jerry rig it.
Thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener Chain/Cable Fix-cable-connect1.jpg   Garage Door Opener Chain/Cable Fix-cable-connect2.jpg   Garage Door Opener Chain/Cable Fix-cable-end.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #2

Here is a photo of the unwinding cable. It still works, but will probably break at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener Chain/Cable Fix-unwound-cable.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #3

I don't see why not.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
Remodeler

You are not going to find a pre made cable that is the correct length, you would have to make it. Putting the little loop on the end is more difficult than it sounds, unless you have access to the correct tool to install the swage on the cable. That's the silver crimped connector that closes the loop. You will also find another one under the piece of black shrink tube where the cable meets the chain. I would not use cable saddle clamps they get a little bulky and too likely to catch on the rail. You can get the right part cheap on ebay; the standard chain/cable for a 7' opener is actually a leftover piece when you add the extension kit for a taller door, so there are lots of them around.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

Just as stated above. You can probably find the chain cable assembly on ebay fairly inexpensive.

www.gopherdoor.com
garagedoor911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage door cable