Garage Door Not Going Down - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door not going down

My Craftsmen garage door goes up perfectly every time with both the remote and the wall unit button. Going down is the problem. It often starts to go down and then goes back up. When I use the mounted remote on the wall it will only go down if I hold the button the entire time. For instance, when I hold the button it will go all the way down, but the second I let go of it, the door will go back up regardless of where it is in its way down.

Anyone have any ideas?

I dont know the model number. I know it's a Craftsmen and about 10-12 years old.

Advertisement

cincycuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

sounds to me like the limiter was not adjusted correctly, or has come out of adjustment. do you still have the owner's manual? i know, probably not, but it'd help. there will be a way on the back of the power head to adjust the open and close limit and force. they vary as to how they adjust though, so you may need to post us a pic. the one i installed yesterday, a chain drive 'genie PowerMax', has 'smile' shaped holes on the back that needed a small-headed flathead screwdriver to adjust. it's also possible the closing force button may need adjustment.

DM

Advertisement

Last edited by DangerMouse; 02-19-2009 at 09:14 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

OK, thanks. I'll see if it does anything when I adjust. If not, I'll take a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
sounds to me like the limiter was not adjusted correctly, or has come out of adjustment. do you still have the owner's manual? i know, probably not, but it'd help. there will be a way on the back of the power head to adjust the open and close limit and force. they vary as to how they adjust though, so you may need to post us a pic. the one i installed yesterday, a chain drive 'genie intellicode', has 'smile' shaped holes on the back that needed a small-headed flathead screwdriver to adjust. it's also possible the closing force button may need adjustment.

DM
cincycuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

first check the electric eyes are not blocked or out of alignment, there is a indicator light on them that should be on at all times also, if you dont see that check the wiring, re adjust em then see if problem went away
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Enormous Member

Rewards Points: 75

I'm voting for the limiter too... but check the rollers and the track also. Pull the trolley release and open and close the door manually and see if you can feel any resistance. This is a good way to check the door's balance.... it should open and close fairly easily with one hand.

Openers don't particularly care if something is obstructing them on the way up... but there might be a roller sticking or something on the track causing some friction on the way down... enough of it anyway to cause the opener to think it's bumped into something.

Let us know what you find out.
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack View Post
I'm voting for the limiter too... but check the rollers and the track also. Pull the trolley release and open and close the door manually and see if you can feel any resistance. This is a good way to check the door's balance.... it should open and close fairly easily with one hand.

Openers don't particularly care if something is obstructing them on the way up... but there might be a roller sticking or something on the track causing some friction on the way down... enough of it anyway to cause the opener to think it's bumped into something.

Let us know what you find out.
good post...
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
the Musigician

might help too if we knew what type it is, chain/screw/belt drive.
if chain, the chain might be dragging, making it feel "resistance" and reversing. easy enough to adjust that too.
although the noise it would make would let you know...... *grin*
DM
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Good info posted above.

Reversing action is a built-in function when the door hits an object or the elecrtic eye see's an obstruction ... or the door opener is having to push to hard to close. There is a pressure or clutch adjustment on the side of the opener (a screw) that can be turned to increase or decrease the pressure exerted by the motor.

If it was working fine before then something happened to make the opener work harder upon closing. As mentioned, diconnect the door from the opener by pulling the red cord and try the door manually. If you have a broken spring/roller/hinge you'll know pretty quick.

I wouldn't try any adjustment until you are certain there are no other problems. After all, it did work fine the way it was before.

Just my 2
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
sounds to me like the limiter was not adjusted correctly, or has come out of adjustment. do you still have the owner's manual? i know, probably not, but it'd help. there will be a way on the back of the power head to adjust the open and close limit and force. they vary as to how they adjust though, so you may need to post us a pic. the one i installed yesterday, a chain drive 'genie PowerMax', has 'smile' shaped holes on the back that needed a small-headed flathead screwdriver to adjust. it's also possible the closing force button may need adjustment.

DM
On mine the limitor is on the side, you have to take the light off to get to it, and its an actual dial you can turn.
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
the Musigician

yup abe, they vary as to location as well as style. you still fighting with yours?

DM
Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #11

what's with all the garage doors going haywire on this forum? I should start a topic of "My garage door won't make me breakfast"
dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
yup abe, they vary as to location as well as style. you still fighting with yours?

DM
Yup, the bad thing its its 11deg outside and I have a detached garage.

Advertisement

abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote