Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door location

Why is it that most of the garage plans I see have the doors under the edge of the roof, instead of the doors on the gable end. Is there a specific reason for this? I would think that you want the doors on the gable end so that rain and snow isn't falling down in front of the doors and there would be no need for a large header for the doors.

Getting ready to build a 32 x 28 garage this spring and was curious.

Thank you in advance.
Brian

brjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
old guy contractor

Garage door location

You are right on the money, Brian.
Doors under the eaves are trouble all the way.
I saw a place that had metal roofs with the doors under the eaves
1/2 way thru the winter he couldn't get any of his cars thru the doors 'cuz the ice was built up so high on the driveway entrance.........

...and I think it looks more inviting having the gable.

Probably one of the main reasons for not having the gable is because it creates a valley that shoots water and traps ice toward the house and entry.

where ya think all that snow & ice & water dump?

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

Garage door location

Thanks tcleve4911, the garage will be far enough away from the house so no worry about the water and as you mentioned, I will have a metal roof. The plan is to go with the gable end, I just wondered why you did not see as many.
Thanks for the reply.

Brian
brjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Garage door location

OR--you could do as I did: I was planning my 24 x 36x12'ceiling, detached shop in my back yard and didn't want exactly what you have described. I had my trusses designed with a 48" cantilever on the side which would be getting the garage doors. The doors would be 10' tall by 12' wide also. I had stood at the spot where I knew the doors would be in early summer, noticed exactly how the sun would set and how the sunlight/heat would he shining in. Now I have never regretted doing this. I can stand in my garage door when open during a rain downpour and the rain is falling 48" away from me. I also put a 24" eave on the back side, and 24" eaves on each end of the gable roof. Due to the direction of the setting sun and heat, I also bought insulated garage doors. In the heat of the afternoon I can actually close the doors, open the windows, turn on the whole house type fan in the ceiling and it's relatively cool in there. Plan ahead, you will not regret it.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Garage door location

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjl View Post
Why is it that most of the garage plans I see have the doors under the edge of the roof, instead of the doors on the gable end. Is there a specific reason for this? I would think that you want the doors on the gable end so that rain and snow isn't falling down in front of the doors and there would be no need for a large header for the doors.
Do these garages not have gutters and liters? The one thing you are correct about is the header being bigger to carry the weight of the rafters and ceiling joists.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

Garage door location

I built my house with the garage roof going the same way as the house and with the garage doors under the eaves. I also installed gutters. We get an average of 10' of snow per year with no problem other than a rubber door bottom stuck to the slab on occasion. This would happen with a door installed in the gable end anyway.
I figured I'd have more problems orienting the roof perpendiculer to the house and then dealing with valleys that would direct water toward the house.

Last edited by mrgins; 02-22-2011 at 08:49 AM.
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote