Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Insulation

Winter is approaching and I want to insulate my garage door. I was planning on using either 1 1/2" or 2" blue hard foam insulation (like they use for foundation insulation), and cut it to shape. I know regular insulation in walls require drywall over top for fire protection. I think the blue foam is considered flammable material. Do I need some type of fire protection over top of the blue foam? Has anyone done this before? I could cover it with the reflective radiant heat sheets if this would be acceptable. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks

Dave

DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #2

Garage Door Insulation

I know there are also garage door 'blanket' installation kits that are vinyl-faced fiberglass. I wouldn't think vinyl would be flame-retardant, would it? Just some more thoughts.

Dave

Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #3

Garage Door Insulation

One of my many failed projects was insulating two garage doors. First, new weather striping on the top bottom and sides. Then, I used foam and attached it with automotive spray weather strip adhesive I had laying around. It worked pretty good until I noticed the door was rotting from moisture trapped between the door and the panels.

I replaced them with new insulated steel door. My only regret about the new door was not replacing it 10 years earlier.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #4

Garage Door Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
I replaced them with new insulated steel door. My only regret about the new door was not replacing it 10 years earlier.
x2
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #5

Garage Door Insulation

I've read about moisture problems before as well. any solutions to help avoid moisture buildup? Although it would be nice to get a new door, the house is only 12 years old and in a townhouse complex (i know there's rules on colour of door, but not sure about style).

How long until you noticed the moisture/rotting issue?

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #6

Garage Door Insulation

I noticed it the first winter but I didn't realize how much damage it did until I painted the door 2 years later.

I made a number of calls and ended up with a local guy that did a great job and had a better price than HD and Lowes but not the lowest price I got. The cost was much less than I expected it to be, less than I could have bought the doors for myself.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Garage Door Insulation

When I built my 24 x 36 shop,or unattached garage, in '96 I bit the bullet and bought steel clad insulated doors for it. In this area not so much for the cold weather, but to prevent the hot sunshine later in the day from heating the shop too much. A friend of mine liked the doors so much we came up with a way to insulate his wooden door, and it has no moisture damage today. We used 1" x 2" (3/4 x 1 1/2) on edge to frame out each panel of his door. This made a pocket for placing the white styrofoam we placed into each panel, no glue. The we used luan playwood to cover each panel, entrapping the insulation. Maybe not as efficient as a manufactured door, but his shop faced the Southwest also and is now much cooler in the late evenings, and warmer in the winter. His doors are manually operated, and this did make them some, but not too bad, heavier. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Garage Door Insulation

Never tried it but you could use some foil-faced rigid foam board, it is rated without a cover for fire. The white foam lets moisture through and holds it.You would have to cover it, as Thurman said. In a wood door the panels can move with the seasons, and rightly so. To caulk them in and caulk the foam panels, I suspect it would rot. You want air to the assembly to dry, yet are defeating the purpose of insulating against cold. If you do add material, tighten your springs or torque the center spring tighter to allow for the added weight. One door we did had medium density ply glued and screwed to a standard W.D. door for a client worried about drive-by's. With 2" thick plex for windows across the top, it was very heavy. It needed two extra duty torsion springs to operate it with a standard opener.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #9

Garage Door Insulation

Thanks for the tip on the garage door springs. The springs are slightly too tight as it it, so adding some lightweight foam shouldn't be an issue for me. I checked out local building stores for foil faced insulation.

Rona has AP Foil-Faced foam, 1 1/2" gives a R value of 9.8.
I don't understand the fire ratings on it though:
ASTM E 84 Flame Spread*, 75
Smoke Developed 200 or less

Is this acceptable? On the data sheet it says "Do not leave exposed. AP sheathing requires an interior finish of a minimum 1/2" (13 mm) gypsum board or equivalent 15-minute fire barrier."

Here's the data sheet: http://www.jm.com/insulation/buildin...foil-faced.pdf

Where could I find a 15-minute fire barrier?

I saw the bubble foil insulation at Home Depot. It says it has a Class A / Class 1 fire rating. I don't know what that refers to, any help? Would that give a 15-minute fire barrier?
website: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Home depot also has a foil faced DuroFoam, but it is a white foam, and does not have as good of a R value.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

Garage Door Insulation

Any Rigid Foam insulation needs to be covered with an interior finish product such as drywall, plywood etc. I believe it has to be 1/2" and/or have a 15min fire rating.

Whether or not Rigid Foam Insulation with Bubble Foil Wrap ontop will pass code I couldn't tell you. Not sure if there would be a moisture problem in between the rigid foam and the bubble foil wrap.

Paul
PaoloM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

Garage Door Insulation

I asked the local chief building official about this. His response (not guaranteed to be accurate in all areas):

-----------
The code requirement for covering foam insulation is to protect the foam from mechanical damage, not necessarily for fire protection. The bubble type of insulation will only provide approx. R-5 R-7 value. There are exterior dense fibre boards available usually used for exterior foundation insulation which would probably give a better R value.

I personally will use the bubble insulation on my own garage door as although it has a lower R value, it is foil backed and will reflect the heat back into the garage.
-----------
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
Here to Learn

Garage Door Insulation

I'll probably get blasted for this, but...

I insulated my garage doors last year with faced fiberglass insulation. I cut to fit for each door panel and then placed 6 mil flashing over the insulation. Lots of staples, it's probably against all sorts of code, but it doesn't look atrocious and actually did the job.

Hawss Drew is offline   Reply With Quote