Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door insulation

I'm in Houston ready to get garage doors for a newly constructed house and wondering if it's worth getting insulated garage doors. The doors are south facing so not too much direct sun, there is a bonus room above the garage, I'll insulate all the walls and the east wall is connected to the house. Can anyone comment on wheter it's worth $430 more to get insulated garage doors? The one's I'm looking at are rated at R6.84.

Thanks in advance, Stan.

smcmurrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
General Contractor

Garage door insulation

If you plan on conditioning the space (heating or air), then by all means...otherwise, there would be no advantage.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #3

Garage door insulation

Thanks for the reply. I'm not planning on conditioning it but since I plan to insulate the walls before sheetrock I was wondering if it'd be worth doing the doors too. I've never known anyone with insulated doors around here so I didn't know if it keeps the garage that much cooler (or warmer) without a/c.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

Garage door insulation

As a temporary (could be permanent.....) solution, I used foam board and fit it between the lips of each garage door panel. I wedged it in the bottom lip, then bowed it slightly to allow it to "pop" into the upper lip of each panel.

Much cheaper solution for my needs.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #5

Garage door insulation

One reason I went with the insulated doors is because it offers a little bit of impact protection from the inside.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #6

Garage door insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttodoitright View Post
As a temporary (could be permanent.....) solution, I used foam board and fit it between the lips of each garage door panel. I wedged it in the bottom lip, then bowed it slightly to allow it to "pop" into the upper lip of each panel.

Much cheaper solution for my needs.

in your opinion, did that help? i was thinking about doing that in my garage (i have some workout equipment in there).

sorry didn't mean to hijack
zmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #7

Garage door insulation

I ended up getting the insulated doors and i'm happy with them. The installers put the insulation in regular doors. It came in boxes and they bowed it out and popped it in place. Nothing special other than it was cut to fit properly. Next time I will put a double layer of the foam board insulation and save some money.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #8

Garage door insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmurphy View Post
in your opinion, did that help? i was thinking about doing that in my garage (i have some workout equipment in there).

sorry didn't mean to hijack

I'm not sure what the actual result was. I did it right after we moved in, and I insulated the outer walls that weren't yet finished at the same time.

I had nothing to compare it to, since I did it right after moving in.

I'm originally from the Mid-West, so insulation just makes sense to me. I figure it is dampening some of the noise I make in the garage, but only my neighbors would know that.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #9

Garage door insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmurrey View Post
I'm in Houston ready to get garage doors for a newly constructed house and wondering if it's worth getting insulated garage doors. The doors are south facing so not too much direct sun, there is a bonus room above the garage, I'll insulate all the walls and the east wall is connected to the house. Can anyone comment on wheter it's worth $430 more to get insulated garage doors? The one's I'm looking at are rated at R6.84.

Thanks in advance, Stan.
I would say yes, if for no other reason than noise reduction. A door made out of a single flimsy sheet of metal will be much noisier to open and close, and when closed, will creak with the slightest breeze. Luckily, I can't hear the creaking inside my house, but it's dang annoying when working in or around the garage on all but the stillest days.

tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote