Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door install- clearance issues

I am in the process of installing a garage door. The previous homeowners had started the process of converting the garage to living space but had only succeeded in removing the garage doors (two 8x7) and closing in the openings.

I have run into a couple of problems:
1. It has limited headroom. I only measure 10" from ceiling to bottom of top jamb.
2. It does not have the necessary clearance at the bottom outer edges of the jambs. This is caused by what I assume is part of the foundation. There are 3 cinder blocks that protrude above the slab. These blocks stick out beyond the jambs about 4". The door jambs are 2x6 lumber that are flush with the outside of the brick exterior.

First one is easy enough- I can just use a low overhead- "double track."

The second problem is what has me confused. Can I notch the cinder blocks to get the 3 1/4" clearance needed? What tool should I use for this? How would I attach the 2x6 frame to the notched cinder blocks?

The other option I see is to build a second wall that would be flush with the cinder blocks. A PT 2x4 sole on the cinder blocks with a double 2x4 going to a single top plate nailed to the ceiling joists. Can a double 2x4 work for the header? Then add the cripples. With this solution, I am concerned about the strength. Should this wall be lag bolted to the exterior wall?

Here is a picture of the blocks:
lrogers6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Totally screwed together

I would be concerned with whatever they took out, structurally, before they reframed that door opening.

To make it easy on yourself, there might be another example of your home just down the block that hasn't gone through this. Just be friendly and politely ask if you could take a look at their garage opening. It may be enlightening!
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

Hi xxPaulCPxx,
Thanks for the reply. I realize now that the picture is a bit unclear. The piece of wood directly to the left of the door is the original door jamb for the garage door. They didn't actually change anything, they simply removed the old garage door and added a double door and framed in the rest.

The problem I am running into is that the house was originally built with a one-piece garage door. They didn't need any room along the jambs for a track. Now I have to figure out the best method to get the room I need.
lrogers6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

"head piece" needed is not really a structural header,but mearly an overhead piece with enough "meat" to hold bolts from pulling out....same with the "legs"....real header is in the wall..only real weight is on ceiling bolts....just fasten whatever is needed 2 bolt track and opener
standard framing is 2x10 jamb instead of 2x6 just to extend past block..then 2x4 or6 nailed to inside over block for mounting track
jersey geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

take out 2x6 top and side....replace with 2x10 or 12 to extend past block...nail 2x6 to sides, floor to near ceiling....2x6 across top for closer
jersey geo is offline   Reply With Quote