Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door framing

Hello,

I have an old detached brick garage that I am in the process of fixing up. I have a mason coming to repair and repoint the brick and I am preparing to frame it out for the garage and man door, but have a few questions.

I can only put a man door in the front opening beside the garage door (long story) and I am trying to fit a 9' garage door and 32" man door into an opening that is 12' 5" (brick to brick).

I have attached a pic below that shows how I am planning to frame it. I am planning on only having 2 studs between man door and garage door, with this only being 3", is this going to be a clearance problem with mounting the garage door track hardware?

I have never installed a garage door before, but from the framing examples I have seen online, it seems there is usually much more distance between the 2 doors.

What do you guys think?

stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Garage door framing

Do you plan on poring a slab and an aprin?
I would do that before even thinking about installing the doors.

I see no way to do it with that sized doors.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Garage door framing

Yes, a new slab will be poured before the framing is done.

What is the minimum of studs I need between the man door and garage door to allow for track clearance?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Garage door framing

The reason I am concerned about the opening size now is, the mason can give me possibly another 4" of opening by deleting a half of brick in each course when they rebuild the front left pillar.

That only leaves about 8" of brick (on this side) for the steel beam above to rest on though...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #5

Garage door framing

If you changed those cripples and made a header instead with a fletch plate (1/2 thick piece of steel between the layers of 2Xs) that would work with the 8" of support. But you would have to have the slab and aprin pored so the jacks and king studs can support the header.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #6

Garage door framing

Hi Joe... Since there is a steel beam already there holding the weight, I really do not need a header since there is zero weight to be supported, except for the weight of the header itself. Is there something I am missing maybe?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Garage door framing

If you widen up the opening you said there would only be 8" supporting the beam. That's not enough.
A header and king studs would add support to that beam.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Garage door framing

I see, so what would be approx the minimum number of inches I would between mandoor and garage door for clearance of garage door track?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #9

Garage door framing

http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/...r-framing.html

You also have to allow room between the doors for trim.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Garage door framing

Some things to consider:

1) You may have better success to go with a 8ft single-car garage door setup. Thereby reducing your "space" concern altogether. Other than having room to install garage door tracks onto the wall, there is no specific reason for any specific "space" to be had for between the doors.
2) Whatever size door you use for next to the garage door, just be sure to check with local codes. Some areas requires 36" door and has to swing a certain way...
3) Double check and make sure that the ceiling will be sturdy enough for the track. You don't want to install a new garage door system and have it crashing onto your car.

Hope this helps.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #11

Garage door framing

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I will probably go with an 8' wide door, even though 9' would have been preferred, just to give me more clearance.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #12

Garage door framing

Yes there is a difference between the two door's , i think so from another side you should make the garage door don't make both the door on one side or take help of any commercial door installation company ,they can guide you well.

Last edited by JacksonLee; 11-02-2012 at 06:48 AM.
JacksonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
AHH, SPANS!!!

Garage door framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekem View Post
Hello,

I have an old detached brick garage that I am in the process of fixing up. I have a mason coming to repair and repoint the brick and I am preparing to frame it out for the garage and man door, but have a few questions.

I can only put a man door in the front opening beside the garage door (long story) and I am trying to fit a 9' garage door and 32" man door into an opening that is 12' 5" (brick to brick).

I have attached a pic below that shows how I am planning to frame it. I am planning on only having 2 studs between man door and garage door, with this only being 3", is this going to be a clearance problem with mounting the garage door track hardware?

I have never installed a garage door before, but from the framing examples I have seen online, it seems there is usually much more distance between the 2 doors.

What do you guys think?

on the inside a 2x6 or 2x8 is usually added flat against the wall vertically to mount the track to so an 8' door will allow clearance for that.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote