Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door clicks

Hi,
My garage door has a periodic click on the right side of the door (when inside the garage looking out). the click is heard when the garage door is rising. The contractor came back, lubed it and made minor adjustments. The click is less often and softer but still there only on the right side. the contractor said you have to lube it up every six months. Does this sound right. I've lived in many places with garages, and I don't recall any having clicks on 1 side and not the other. The manufactuer is CHI overhead doors Model 4216. Any help would be great???? I emailed the manufacturer and am awaiting a response.

doorclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

garage door clicks

Hi,
My garage door has a periodic click on the right side of the door (when inside the garage looking out). the click is heard when the garage door is rising. The contractor came back, lubed it and made minor adjustments. The click is less often and softer but still there only on the right side. the contractor said you have to lube it up every six months. Does this sound right. I've lived in many places with garages, and I don't recall any having clicks on 1 side and not the other. The manufactuer is CHI overhead doors Model 4216. Any help would be great???? I emailed the manufacturer and am awaiting a response.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

garage door clicks

My door groans, squeaks, and clicks as it opens and closes. Having a click on one side would not concern me without other evidence of impending failure.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oberkc For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 576

garage door clicks

You already posted this in another forum and have an answer there, please only post a question in one forum.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #5

garage door clicks

Garageretreat provided some useful info that will help. In another forum some guy said basically live with it, which was not useful because the sounds increase with time. Do you n know of another forum that provided useful info. I just want to get as much advice as possible,.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
doordr

Rewards Points: 25

garage door clicks

getting as much advice as possible is like calling every door company in town twice to get 20 conflicting opinions and picking the one you like the sound of best. do not ignore people because you dont like their ideas. if you have a car with a knocking piston you cant say, "this side does not sound like that side". or "it never sounded like that before" it is not an easy fix so the mechanic offers heavier lubes to "quiet" the motor a little bit. so you dont like his answer and you go to someone else.
To find the problem you must disconnect the door opening device"motor". lift the door manually to the point where you hear the click and run it back and forth a couple inches riding over the clicking spot. check that side of the door for loose bolts in the track. A lot of times the house has shifted enuff to force the door over against the bolts that go thru the track to the wall mount. the wheel bearings can also become worn so they click as the door is moving over the entire distance. They also wear the piece off the wheel that holds the door centered and allows it to hit the track bolts firmly. there is a cable behind that track that can become frayed or rub the side of the door, if there are nails or staples stuck in the end of the door they can "strum" the cable as it opens. The hinges are not made to last forever and as they wear out they can click as the door is being cycled. so the ultimate question is ,how important is this to you? the hinges are numbered and propietary so replacement hinges must be exact. 30 years door repair
Shaynecalkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaynecalkins For This Useful Post:
RoyalAcresRod (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

garage door clicks

MOD---merged two threads------