Garage Door... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Garage door...

Along with windows and vinyl siding that we're replacing, we will also be getting a new garage door. If the budget allows, we hope to get a carriage style door (i.e. looks sort of like a barn door). They only come in white, and would have to be painted. I may paint these myself.

2 questions:

1. What do you suggest I do to prep the door, and what type of paint do you suggest (i.e. latex, etc)? It's a steel door (not wood..too much $$). The salesguy said he suggest scuffing it a little with some 200 grit sandpaper.

2. We can't decided how we'd paint it in terms of color. Our siding will be tan, pretty light. Then we will be putting 3" trim/frame around the windows just slightly darker than the tan vinyl siding on the house. The shutters will be a dark green. I was think of painting the main surfaces of the door the light tan, and the trim pieces the darker tan. But someone also suggested that since the shutters are green, we should paint the trim pieces on the door green. I guess it's personal preference, and hard to give a suggestion without knowing what our house looks like, but I thought I try and get some input.

Thanks.

Advertisement

daveincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Garage door...

Here is what prowall recomended to me a while back. I had to dig deep to find it at the other forum

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...id=240#article

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote