Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door

I have searched this and other forums, but did not find an answer to my question. So I'll ask as a new topic.

I have a 2 car garage - 2 doors, Stanley in steel, 4 panels high. Doors are in reasonably good shape. Can you buy replacement panels? Some in the neighborhood have replaced their doors with new ones (with windows) from the Big Orange store. I'm getting some suggestions that new doors with windows would be great. I'm not disagreeing, but was wondering if there was an option to buy replacement panel with windows.

I see posts where people say they want a replacement panel, but none of them said they actually found replacement panels, nor how the project went (if it did).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Garage door

I guess you could but you'd have to know the mfg of the door to get the right fit I would think due to the type of joint shape put on the top and bottom of each door panel is likely proprietary.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Garage door

The manufacturer is Stanley. I have the installation guide,"Residential Steel Sectional Garage Doors", but there is no model number.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #4

Garage door

Google came up with:
http://www.garagedooropenerguide.com/stanley.html

Q: Where do I get parts, service, or warranty claim information for a Stanley® Garage Door or Garage Door Opener?
A: The Stanley Works does not make or sell garage doors or garage door openers and hasn’t since 1997. Since that time, the two companies that had the rights to use the Stanley name on these products have filed for bankruptcy protection.
Despite their use of the Stanley name, The Stanley Works did not manufacture or sell these products since that time, nor did The Stanley Works issue any warranties related to them. The Stanley Works does not have the ability to service complaints, requests, etc. related to these products.
Nonetheless, some consumers have reported success searching the internet for independent companies providing such services at a cost. The Stanley Works does not endorse this process or these companies."
*"Consumers who can confirm the following three conditions regarding their Garage Door or Garage Door Opener:
  1. the product was manufactured by The Stanley Works (prior to 1997)
  2. the product is covered by a warranty issued by The Stanley Works
  3. have a copy of their warranty and product documentation
should contact us through email."*Source - www.stanleyworks.com/
The Stanley Works has manufactured and marketed tools, hardware and specialty hardware products for home improvement, consumer, industrial and professional use for 163 years. Their brands include Stanley®, FatMax®, MaxGrip®, DynaGrip®, IntelliTools™, and PowerLock®. Product line includes carpenter’s hand tools, electronic tools, masonry tools, residential entry door hardware, consumer residential hardware, consumer mechanics tools, pneumatic precision assembly tools and systems.

Parts and Manuals

Stanley Vemco, Quiet Glide, LightMaker, Home Innovative, Whistler, Popular Mechanics, and SecureCode were all manufactured by Stanley Works and parts are interchangeable. Replacement remote transmitters, receivers, keypads, some circuit boards and other parts are available at our store. For Stanley gate opener and garage door opener parts and accessories go to Stanley Garage Door Opener Parts
Instructions, schematics, wiring diagrams, adjustments, and additional help with problems and repairs for stanley garage door opener can be found in the owner's manuals.
The following are manuals I have found on other websites. I do not guarantee their accuracy or continued availability.
Available manuals from Marwest Access Controls, Inc.: Chain, Screw and Cable (for Stanley garage door openers from 1982 to Current.) $7.50 each
Stanley 1050, 1094, 1082 coding instructions
Stanley Lightmaker & SecureCode Transmitters coding instructions
From Stanley Garage Door Openers back to Brands page
The Stanley Garage Door Opener has not been manufactured since 1997. Parts can be difficult to find. You probably cannot find parts locally, but some are still available online.Stanley Garage Door Opener Parts
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Garage door

Thanks Bob,

I know the doors are pre 97. My installation booklet says they had a 5 year warranty. The doors never came with openers. We installed Craftsman when we moved in.

In any event, I also did some more searching and found a link to

http://garage-windows.com/category/how-to/

Note: I included this link just for info. I don't know if such links are permitted. It seems to have articles from general population and some ads.

It has some articles on installing windows, replacing windows etc.
It doesn't give a location, but I found the wording on many articles a "little suspect". It appears, on the surface at least, that putting a window or windows into the top panel of a steel garage door is not a big deal. There are manufacturers of plastic/fiberglass?? windows (seems like 2 piece frames with glass or plexi) that could be affixed by a diy. I haven't seen any here, but I really haven't looked. It seemed like 2 replacement panels would do, but I'll do some searching.

We built a trimaran sailboat years ago, and had to put 2 large custom windows in the front. The boat was plywood and fiberglass, and the windows were auto safety glass. I had to get a special rubber molding that fit over the 3/8" plywood, and the auto glass fit in a groove opposite, and then there was a rubber spline that fit in a special groove in the molding to make everything tight (yet flexible).

So I guess my adjusted question now is:
Has anybody put windows in a steel garage door? Any advice/comments are welcome.

Last edited by orange; 05-23-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling