Garage: DIY Vs Tuffshed Vs Contractor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via ICQ to nebben Send a message via AIM to nebben Send a message via MSN to nebben Send a message via Yahoo to nebben
Question

Garage: DIY vs Tuffshed vs contractor

I'm still in the dreaming phase of a new garage project, but think we're getting close (4 months?) to really getting something done.

We currently have a one car cindler block garage with a tin roof and cracked up slab. I'd like to demolish (or have it done) the structure and have the old slab/foundation hauled away.

The space is level, and I would assume it will require no additional fill.

A friend of mine is currently collecting bids for a mammoth 4 car garage, and is getting in the neighborhood of $70K-$80K. I plugged in a 34' wide/22' deep size on the quick-quote portion of tuffshed's website (just for comparison's sake) and saw the price less than $30K. Tuffshed apparently includes the slab, and all applicable bits for the structure, albeit not the highest quality sounding stuff.

My question is, why the major discrepancy between GCs and a pre-engineered solution like tuffshed? Granted, I haven't heard specific things about their bids other than the concrete for the driveway is included (about 80' one lane or so), but at more than two times the price of a cookie cutter company? Is a 80' one lane driveway $30K alone?

Other than that, is a cookie cutter outfit more likely to skimp on structural design (2x4 walls instead of 2x6?, no siding other than engineered panels w/paint?)? I'm just curious as to why GCs seem to be radically higher. I've seen three different companies local to me that show similar prices in their garages like this.

Advertisement

nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage: DIY vs Tuffshed vs contractor

Code for garages in some locals require masonary walls, maybe that's why. Maybe some contractors charge whatever they can.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote