Garage Conversion Subfloors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage conversion subfloors

I am converting a garage into a bedroom. The garage has a concrete floor and is surrounded by block walls. We installed a vapor barrier on the concrete floor then built up the subfloor with conventional 2x6 floor joists. The inspector is telling me, that the subflooring has to be pressure treated. What is the answer to this problem? I don't want to have to remove my entire subfloor.

Advertisement

chris mione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

When you say "subflooring", I think plywood that covers the floor joists, but it sounds as though you are referring to your actual floor joists themselves.

How much air space between concrete and non trated framing material?

Also, ask the inspector if you can use this paint on preservative...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGcQ8wIwAA#

Advertisement

Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
When you say "subflooring", I think plywood that covers the floor joists, but it sounds as though you are referring to your actual floor joists themselves.

How much air space between concrete and non trated framing material?

Also, ask the inspector if you can use this paint on preservative...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGcQ8wIwAA#
Little space if any, and yes I am referring to the floor joists. We used a vapor barrier on the floor before we put the floor joists down, and it is completely surrounded on all sides by block/brick or concret, plus it is above grade. I don't get it!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

Octopus,
Thank you for your Rustoleum tip. I don't see any reason we can't apply that and make the sub-floor meet the requirement. I didn't see the sense installing a complete pressure treated sub-floor, but that is what the IBC is calling for, it is section IBC 2304.11.2.4: Sleepers and sills on a concrete or masonry slab that is in direct contact with earth shall be of naturally durable or preservative treated wood.
I think the application of the Rustoleum makes it naturally durable, don't you?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

sounds like the vapor barrier would be a moisture /slab separation in lieu of paint or pressure treated
Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
sounds like the vapor barrier would be a moisture /slab separation in lieu of paint or pressure treated
I thought it was too. I believed that was all we needed to do for a moisture barrier, but not according to the inspector. He quotes the IBC 2304.11.2.4 referring to sleepers and sills, they must be pressure treated or wood preservative if they are on a concrete slab that is directly in contact with earth. Frustrating.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mione View Post
I thought it was too. I believed that was all we needed to do for a moisture barrier, but not according to the inspector. He quotes the IBC 2304.11.2.4 referring to sleepers and sills, they must be pressure treated or wood preservative if they are on a concrete slab that is directly in contact with earth. Frustrating.
So you're saying that the actual 2x6 floor joist that are on edge or flat are sitting on the foundation? There are no sleepers first and the floor joists nailed on top?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #8

Joe,
It is standard framing, with perimeter band boards and 2x6x12 spf floor joists between the bandboards. The moisture barrier was installed on the concrete floor first then the floor joists. They may be off the floor 1/2"-1" at places. That is about it though.
Chris
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mione View Post
Joe,
It is standard framing, with perimeter band boards and 2x6x12 spf floor joists between the bandboards. The moisture barrier was installed on the concrete floor first then the floor joists. They may be off the floor 1/2"-1" at places. That is about it though.
Chris
Are the back of band boards spf and up against the foundation bolted and floor joists on hangers?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #10

The back of the band boards are bolted into the block walls, but we did not use hangers because the joists are on the moisture barrier on the floor.
Chris
The local building inspector has ok'd the floor, he said as long as we installed a moisture barrier we are ok. I hope this is enough for the bank FHA inspector.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

This is old news by now, but I have been doing some reading and anyone else who runs into this issue might be interested:

I think the problem came from the inspector applying a commercial code to a residential project - IBC 2304.11.2.4 (commercial code) doesn't have a provision for a vapor barrier exception to the slab on ground condition, whereas IRC R319 (residential coed) does.

IRC R319-3:
"Sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab that is in
direct contact with the ground unless separated from
such slab by an impervious moisture barrier."

IBC 2304.11.2.4:
"Sleepers and sills. Sleepers and sills on a
concrete or masonry slab that is in direct contact with earth
shall be of naturally durable or preservative-treatedwood."

Advertisement

Experto is offline   Reply With Quote