DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage Conversion: Loading Bearing Foundation

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  buletbob 
#1 ·
Post #3 concerning my garage converison. This time, moving onto the foundation.

**At the front of the house.

I want to remove the existing garage door, and leave the existing header (I assume this is load bearing).

For looks, I want the foundation wall to go all the way across. So I want to bring in a mason to install a non-load bearing foundation wall, which will match the existing wall.

Then I want a carpenter to do a 2x4 frame, and install two windows.

**At the back of the house, I want to create a 5' sliding door, where none currently exists. So the mason will have to cut the load bearing foundation. And a carpenter would have to do the framing.

What are the potential problems? What should I look out for?

Thanks again,
Chris

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One thing that comes to mind is your window height will be lower then norm. that's if you raise the garage floor. second the wall will have to be installed on some type of footing (trench) which must be below frost line.if your lucky you can break the floor under the garage door and dig down about 10-12" you might hit the continuing foundation wall. depending on how old the house is. If your lucky you can block from there and up.

#4 · (Edited)
Good point! we do the same here but lower the foundation 12" below the floor height at garage doors and side door locations To cut back on the floor from cracking along the wall. but I have seen older homes 50"s where they stopped at each side of the door locations, straight down to the footing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.