Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Garage conversion

Hello all - I have several questions surrounding a garage conversion into living space.

1) Will a visquene vapor barrier laid under the carpet pad stop any potential moisture issues with the floor? Should I apply some type of moisture sealer to the floor?

2) Is there an easy way to tell if I have enough incoming electrical service to handle to load. I intend to use a PTAC unit which will need 230v @ 20a. There is a 20a, 110v circuit serving one outlet in the garage plus another outlet on a separate home run. I intended to run the rest of the outlets service off of the one 20a leg that is already there. The lighting runs are already in place. They will need to be moved around so I'm not adding any more load there.

3) There is a 50 gallon gas hot water heater in the garage. Can I enclose the space it is in with louvered doors?

This should be enough to get us going but I have other questions as well.

2dcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Garage conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dcook View Post
Hello all - I have several questions surrounding a garage conversion into living space.

1) Will a visquene vapor barrier laid under the carpet pad stop any potential moisture issues with the floor? Should I apply some type of moisture sealer to the floor?

2) Is there an easy way to tell if I have enough incoming electrical service to handle to load. I intend to use a PTAC unit which will need 230v @ 20a. There is a 20a, 110v circuit serving one outlet in the garage plus another outlet on a separate home run. I intended to run the rest of the outlets service off of the one 20a leg that is already there. The lighting runs are already in place. They will need to be moved around so I'm not adding any more load there.

3) There is a 50 gallon gas hot water heater in the garage. Can I enclose the space it is in with louvered doors?

This should be enough to get us going but I have other questions as well.
You have to ask the building department all f these questions. Are you filling for permits and inspections?

2dcook (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Garage conversion

Yes I will be pulling a permit and have several inspections to pass.

I realize code has an impact on many of the questions but I am asking them in the light of general knowledge, not whether they meet my local code.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by 2dcook; 01-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
2dcook is offline   Reply With Quote