Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage Conversion

I will be converting my garage to conditioned spaced soon. It currently has a 1-foot-high by 10" wide stem wall/foundation with the exterior walls framed on that(2x4's)....so there is about 5 1/2" of stem wall uncovered by wall plates.

For insulation purposes, would it be best to just frame new walls directly on the existing floor, adjacent to inside face of stem/foundation wall? I just can't think of any other way to do it and still be code-compliant(insulation-wise)....

Thanks,
Brandon

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #2

Garage Conversion

Some areas, mine for one, are very perticular about garage conversions. My city actually has people looking for unpermitted conversions and you will get contacted by the city. I would suggest you ensure you investigate and get any required permits before doing any work.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #3

Garage Conversion

Yep...I will be getting the entire job inspected.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Pro

Garage Conversion

If it's non-load bearing, you can frame new walls in front of the existing foundation wall. If it is going to be load bearing, then you may (may) need to assess the slab and possibly install footings or pads if you're going post and beam.

See why pictures help?

You can also get creative and frame a "step" around the stem of the foundation, thereby giving you continuous insulation along the wall. You won't get a straight wall, but maybe that would work for you (it will definitely give you more room).

Good luck.
Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

Garage Conversion

Thought about the "step" idea too. I just was interested in how others, who may have had a similar issue, worked it out. Thanks for the help guys.