Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage conversion

Hello forum, this is my first post.

I am converting one of the garages (the one closer to the house) into a room. Everything it's all there. I just need to raise the floor which, is not an issue and need to frame in the 9' wide garage door and here I have the question. In order not to make it look like it used to be a garage, I want to place 2 layers of 16"x4" caps? That's where the whole frame of the garage is built on. One thing is, that there is a concrete slope, right outside of the garage door to prevent water to go in. Well, that's where I need to place these caps. Will the mortar mix to lay these blocks stick to the concrete?
Do I need to drive any threaded rods through the existing concrete, to tie down the 9' wide frame on to the blocks? Or is it enough to nail the frame to the side and the top?

Your time is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
GSPRO

gspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Garage conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspro View Post
Hello forum, this is my first post.

I am converting one of the garages (the one closer to the house) into a room. Everything it's all there. I just need to raise the floor which, is not an issue and need to frame in the 9' wide garage door and here I have the question. In order not to make it look like it used to be a garage, I want to place 2 layers of 16"x4" caps? That's where the whole frame of the garage is built on. One thing is, that there is a concrete slope, right outside of the garage door to prevent water to go in. Well, that's where I need to place these caps. Will the mortar mix to lay these blocks stick to the concrete?
Do I need to drive any threaded rods through the existing concrete, to tie down the 9' wide frame on to the blocks? Or is it enough to nail the frame to the side and the top?

Your time is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
GSPRO
what you should do is saw cut the garage apron along the outside of the foundation line and also along the inside. remove the debris and dig down until you hit the foundation wall, usually about 4"- 12" then build off of that. what your planing to do is build basically off of grade. That's going to create a problem during the freeze and thaw cycle of the season. when the ground freezes it will lift the wall up between the existing side foundation walls. are you going to raise the garage door header?? to brig the window heights even with the rest of the house,there also might be a code to block in the side wall from the remaining garage. with a short cement wall. reason being leaking gas tank, to keep the fuel from spilling under the living quarters??? I'm not to sure about this. but that's why garage floors are pitched, for water and spilled fuel. I hope I was of some help, BOB.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote