Garage Construction - Reference Information - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Construction - reference information

I am interested in building my own 3 car detached garage. Can anyone recommend a good reference book on construction planning and framing basics to get me started? Something that walks you thru planning the site work (foundation),framing and roofing.

Rather than start from scratch on the plans it would be nice to look at various plans and designs for ideas, any recommendations?

thanks, Mike

Advertisement

in_the_woods_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Sub out the Fondation...... that'll be Worth it. I did buld my own workshop 12x24 I worked for a Civil engineer at the time and he Ok'd my Foundation (mine was Slab on grade 12"x12" around the edge 2 rows of Rebar 6" slab w/ 6x6 mesh. (it was overkill b/c of the soil conditions below) The framing was all Standard 2x4 16" OC.........

Advertisement

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

We've seen quite a few garage plans come through our office with guys looking to outfit the garage. Before you pour the concrete floor, if you're in a cold winter location, remember to put in the floor heaters. And if you're thinking about putting in a car lift, you'll also want to make sure that concrete floor can support the lift your thinking about.

There are some books on Amazon that may help, and feel free to give us a call at 800-736-9308 or browse us online at carguygarage.com for ideas.

We sponsor this site, let us know you're coming from diychatroom.com and we'll work a deal for ya.
head_dunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,138

A very practical thing to do is to lay one course of 6" (wide) block around the wall perimeter to create an 8" high clean, rot-proof curb. Run the anchor bolts through and put the sill on top.

It makes cleaning easier and prevents any exterior water intrusion in the case of grading or drainage changes. Especially good where you have snow and water drippings in the winter.

If you build a foundation with frost walls and a floating slab, you just plan ahead and add one course of 6" wide block. If you have a thicker slab foundation, just have the course of block laid on the slab.

You can also gain a little valuable headroom inside.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-27-2007 at 04:26 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote