Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Ceiling Joist Question

Hi,

My garage is 18' wide and 23' long, hipped-roof. It only have three 2x6 ceiling joists (18' span). I want to drywall the whole garage. What do I need to add to support the ceiling drywall? Will 2x6's at 24"oc enough to hold 5/8" drywall?

Thanks
-Edwin

ejarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Could be with the proper bracing...run the 2X's like you're thinking. Then run some braces up to the rafter above the joist...nothing fancy, just tie the two together. I would brace each one in three places, the center and then half way between the center and the wall each direction. Braced up well you could probably get by using 2x4's.

You might be money ahead to purchase shorter 2X's and splice the center. The center brace would support the splice to keep everything in plane, the center brace should include a plywood gusset G&S to tie it all together. I would think it may be easier to install 2-10' 2x's that one long stick.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

What if I use 2x8's at 24" centers? Will it be too heavy for my walls which is also at 24" centers?

Thanks for your reply RippySkippy.

-Edwin
ejarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I really doubt that you need 2x8's unless you planning on using the attic space for storage....then that's a whole 'nother can-o-worms. The walls will most likely support the weight, most of the forces from the ceiling/roof transfered to to the walls is compression.

I'm sure you can purchase a large stick to span the space...but you'll end up with a more solid roof by attaching the joist to the existing rafters, hence using smaller lighter joist material. You need to remember that the wood will not be the heaviest load on the ceiling...the rock is. With out the center supports, that would be one bouncy ceiling.

Rip
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote