Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Garage ceiling braces

Hi first time here...I garage in which i would like to clean up and use as a pool table room. I am getting a new door installed with a new Jack opener which will eliminate the old style Genie which is attached from the center of my garage to the door. I am have a few 2 x 4s spanning from the back of garage to over the header of the garage door. There are 2 braces (1x6) that form an "X" if you look upwards.They attach from corner to corner above top plates. Does anyone know why these were used and can they be removed if i double up on the 2 x 4's mentioned above? I have 3 pictures attached.

Thanks, Moses
Attached Thumbnails
Garage ceiling braces-dsc01289.jpg   Garage ceiling braces-dsc01290.jpg   Garage ceiling braces-dsc01291.jpg  

Last edited by tenmoses; 02-26-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: pictures added
tenmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Garage ceiling braces

The bracing you asked about should not be removed, IMO, unless you are planning on sheet rock or plywooding the trusses. They are there to minimize the chance of racking/twisting/parallelogramming in the ceiling. If you can run them over the tops of the trusses, that should work, too, but they need to be tied to the outer walls, too.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Garage ceiling braces

Why do you want to remove the 1x6 diagonal braces? Could you explain the duct? Is this a detached garage?

Last edited by Tigerloose; 02-26-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

Garage ceiling braces

I Plan on sheet rocking the walls with the thinnest sheet rock for appearance only. I plan to use this for a game room. I will be eliminating the center door opener and wanted to have the appearance of vaulted ceilings but do not like the "X" bracing right in the center. I saw a post from user "brandonlaundry" the post is titled "Garage renovation / vaulted ceiling & removing ceiling joist" and noticed that garage was missing the braces. There are currently four 2x4's that span from the house toward the garage door spaced approx 48" on center and two 2x4's that span across parallel the garage doors and are spaced 72" center to center if measured from the middle of the garage.
tenmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #5

Garage ceiling braces

You could clean it up some. The diagonal flat 2x are for racking of the structure as said. They were installed because originally there was skip sheathing on the roof, very easily moved by wind or seismic activity. With the ply and new (correct sized for the span) drywall, they may not be needed. The 2x's running perpendicular to the rafters appear to be doing nothing, attached to the gable and what? The 2x's running under the rafters are rafter ties, very much needed to keep your walls from spreading. They could be replaced with existing = moved up on to the walls with nails into the plate/rafter as per Code; Table 802.5.1(9) last one; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par023.htm
With two nails in to the top plate, as well. Don’t remove them all at once….
Required every 4’ apart.

Gary
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

Garage ceiling braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmoses View Post
I Plan on sheet rocking the walls with the thinnest sheet rock for appearance only. I plan to use this for a game room. I will be eliminating the center door opener and wanted to have the appearance of vaulted ceilings but do not like the "X" bracing right in the center. I saw a post from user "brandonlaundry" the post is titled "Garage renovation / vaulted ceiling & removing ceiling joist" and noticed that garage was missing the braces.
I really like this idea. Sounds great, especially with the plan of sheet rocks on the walls. Could be quit cosy in your game room then

handybug is offline   Reply With Quote