Garage Barrier To Protect Boiler. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Garage barrier to protect boiler.

I have a wall-hung boiler, with assorted gas & water plumbing on the back wall of the garage in the addition I'm building. When the inspector was there for the mechanical she told me I needed a barrier in front of the boiler to prevent somebody from driving a car into it - which sounds like a pretty good idea even if it it wasn't required.

Anything vulnerable to a car is within about 4' of the corner, and the boiler sticks out about 20" from the wall. So I'm thinking of renting a concrete holesaw and cutting a hole in the slab at about 24" from the back wall, and 48" from the side wall. Probably try to dig out some of the fill under it as well. The put in a piece of 4" PVC so it sticks up about 36". Put a piece of 1/2" rebar down the center, fill the rest with concrete, and put a cap on it.

Sound reasonable & adequate? Does it need to be permanent/non-removable? If so, I'll drive that rebar down in a few feet and make the hole in the slab pretty tight. But I think it would be nice if it could be removed to make access to the boiler plumbing easier, in which case I'd make the hole a little bigger and wrap the pipe in tar paper or such and use shims to keep it from wobbling.

Advertisement

Armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Wounded Mathematician

Rewards Points: 75

How about just using one of those 3" or 4" high precast concrete bumpers that they use in parking lots? Is that allowed?

Advertisement

shtoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

Just found this in Grumpybear's post:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/...emKey=30112471

Looks like it should work, with alot less hassle and probably about the same price as renting the concrete saw and all - though shipping might kill it. Wonder if I could find anything like this locally?

It says it's good for existing floors, so I should be good lagging it onto a 4" slab, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage barrier to protect boiler.-652899m.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtoink View Post
How about just using one of those 3" or 4" high precast concrete bumpers that they use in parking lots? Is that allowed?
Interesting idea - but I think you'd have to put it so far back to accomodate different vehicles that it would screw up the floor space for anything else.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Don't think the PVC will be accepted, The concrete barrier that was stated above does not sound bad,
What I have used is a 4" schedule 40 Galvanized pipe set in a 12" Dia. hole with concrete and then filled the pipe and caped the top.
I have done this where the gas meter was located along a driveway.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bob's on track with not using PVC. If you want to install a bollard, great. If they're making you do it, ask for a code section
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Bob's on track with not using PVC. If you want to install a bollard, great.
Well, it sounds like a good idea considering I'll have two teenage drivers in a few years!

Quote:
If they're making you do it, ask for a code section
Yep, I'll do that.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #8

I have seen these post before, I had to replace a few of them behind a deli where cars had hit them a tore them out of the slab. They look great but I would check with the building dept. to see what they exactly require.
they might stop folk lifts but I don't think cars.
Here at my location they demand schedule 40 galvanized pipe filled with concrete , and buried in the ground so they wont pull out. BOB. How ever they do look pretty.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
General Contractor

Oops, double post

Last edited by MacRoadie; 06-26-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Double post
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Bob's on track with not using PVC. If you want to install a bollard, great. If they're making you do it, ask for a code section

Here in California, it is CPC 510.3 which reads:

"All water heaters installed in areas where they may be subject to mechanical damage shall be suitably guarded against such damage by being installed behind adequate barriers or by being elevated or located out of the normal path of a vehicle using any such garage".

Every municipality I have worked in states in their water heater installation requirements that the "adequate barrier" shall be a three-inch diameter, standard weight metal pipe embedded as a bollard in the concrete slab.

Examples:

Pipe Bollard:
If the water heater is located in the path of travel of a vehicle then a protective 3”
pipe bollard may be required to be installed so as to protect the water heater from damage.
Pipe is to be 3’ above floor and set into a 2’ deep concrete foundation and filled with mortar.

12. Pipe Bollard:

If the water heater is
located in the path of travel of a vehicle then
a protective 3” pipe bollard may be required
to be installed so as to protect the water
heater from damage. Pipe is to be 3’ above
floor and set into a 2’ deep concrete
foundation and filled with mortar.

Protection Against Physical Damage
Water heaters shall be anchored or strapped in an approved manner to resist horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion. Strapping shall be at points within the upper and lower one-third of its vertical dimensions. At the lower point, a minimum distance of four inches shall be maintained above the controls (CPC 510.5).
Water heaters located in the garage where they may be subject to physical damage from a vehicle must be provided with protection (CPC 510.3). A three-inch diameter standard weight metal pipe embedded as a bollard in the concrete slab is recommended.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 06-26-2008 at 06:34 PM.
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #11

Well Put!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #12

Ok, thanks guys. It doesn't sound to me like that bolt-down bollard is anchored nearly as effectively as what they are asking for.

Advertisement