Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |

Gaps In XPS

Hi I have these panels of XPS covered with OSB. The OSB is shiplaped and is a very tight fit. However the 2 inch thick XPS behind it has 1/8th gaps at the seams. Is it necessary to fill these seams if the OSB is tightly sealed over the seams. It is below grade on an interior walkout blockwall foundation that is eight feet tall. Foundation is concrete block (8 inch) with full bricks mortared on the exterior. The panels are 2 inch of XPS and about 1/2 inch of osb with shiplaped edge on the osb. It is actually all already on the walls and I was posting to see if it would be beneficial to take down the panels and seal the seams with the spray foam or just make the osb airtight. I'm worried about the 1/8 " gap letting moisture vapor through to the OSB and creating a mold issue. I don't know enough about this stuff and convection currents to know if that is a realistic concern or not. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaps In XPS-barricadegap4.jpg   Gaps In XPS-barricadegap2.jpg  
drx006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Gaps In XPS

Seal the gaps with spray foam. But OSB and the XPS will allow moisture to pass.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Gaps In XPS

But OSB and the XPS will allow moisture to pass.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob. Does this mean that it would be ok to leave the panels alone without taking them down to seal the gaps? I was planning on putting up sheets of 1/4" wood paneling and staggering the seams over the OSB seams. If the osb seams are made airtight would that be enough to prevent any condensation mold issues in the xps gaps? How much benefit would I get from taking the panels down and sealing the gaps?

Last edited by drx006; 06-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Gaps In XPS

none.... But stopping moisture is only one part of the puzzle. Moisture will still need to move through the structure in one direction (usually towards the outside.) The joints are sealed to stop air flow. Moisture will still be transferred by diffusion. You need to have enough insulation to keep the inside plane of the outside sheathing warm enough in winter to not reach the dew point. In cold climates this is R-11 for walls In basements you need R-13 tightly against the foundation wall.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #5

Gaps In XPS

One more question. If I decided to take down some of the panels to fill the gaps could something like this work? http://www.emseal.com/products/Archi...Backerseal.htm Or maybe cutting strips of 2 inch thick XPS to stuff in the gaps and then covering it with the fiber mastic before putting the OSB back up.. I'm trying to avoid using alot of sprayfoam as I read it has some toxic things in it like isocyanates.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Gaps In XPS

it will work.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

Gaps In XPS

Thanks for your help!