Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Gaps in new construction....shim it?

Hi,

One of my friends built a house with the same builder I'm going to build a house with. I was looking at his pictures, and he pointed out that there were a number of areas that had gaps.

For example...on one of the windows, the header wasn't sitting on the trimmer stud. There was maybe about a quarter to half inch gap between the trimmer stud and the header.

Another example was where the subfloor was nailed down. It's a tongue and groove subfloor, and at one end, there was maybe about a half inch gap between the subfloor and the joist. My friend's concern was that the floor would creak because of the gap. He said that he told the foreman about the gaps, but he didn't do anything about them.

I haven't started building yet; I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row and learn as much as I can before I commit to something. If I see something like this, should I tell the foreman to fix it? What if he doesn't? Should I go in later, after they get done framing, and shim it myself? Do things like this even matter?

Thanks in advanced!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Any problems brought to the attention of the Construction crew should be fixed
I've only had one window where I needed to shim a trimmer stud a little
Floor joists should be level...sounds like it wasn't crowned right on installation

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

If you bring up problems to the construction crew, you become a nagging jerk, and they will brush you off. If there is a quick thing that is obvious that they need to fix, and you are sure they are not still working on it, be sure to have beer in hand, and they will be much more receptive to listen to your concern. This almost sounds like a joke, but to a carpenter, beer does the talking.
Be sure that you have scheduled walk thru's with the developer, while the crew is not on site. The developer will be able to talk to you in lehmans terms, and possibly explain why things are the way they are. If there is a legitimate problem, it is the developer's responsibility to see that the problem is fixed. The crew tends to do things that the developer tells them to fix, because he signs their paycheck.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote