Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gap of indeterminate size under concrete stairs

Hi everyone!

I was in the process of mouseproofing my house when I discovered a thin, narrow gap underneath the concrete steps. I've no idea how deep they go, but they appear to be formed from water. During a recent rain storm, the area beside the steps turned into a miniature lake. Why? Because the land is sloped improperly.

It has now become apparent that the entire property needs to be properly graded. But before that can happen, I need to safely seal and waterproof (and preferably mouseproof) this indeterminate gap beneath my concrete steps. Any ideas?

I have considered the following options:

1. Just filling it with gravel - Apparently mice have difficulty burrowing through it. But opted not to, because apparently you don't want water pooling beside the house and gravel, being less dense than the surrounding soil, will do just that.

2. Just trying to pack them in with clay - This doesn't quite solve the mouse problem, but at least resolves the more serious water-against-foundation concern that I now have.

... I'm at a loss here. I swear, my initial purchase was just mouse traps, aluminum mesh, and expandable foam. It's now turning into a more labor intensive (but hopefully more fun) project.

Any ideas would be welcome.

photocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Gap of indeterminate size under concrete stairs

Maybe I'm slow, but you lost me. "Gap", in what? The earth? Why can't you slope the land right now, before there is more water around the foundation? Any pics? Mouse proofing may prove to be a real challenge. They can squeeze into the crack of dawn, and climb most anything. Got a cat?

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete steps, foundation, grade, pest control