Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab

Our house is 40 yr old. We have a Gap about 1/2" for about 8 feet between the sill plate and the concrete slab. I have observed it for about 6 mo. and it has not changed. Had an engineer give us his opinion. They said it was probably not a foundation problem but a landscaping problem. I will be doing some landscaping. For now I want to fill the gap it in and then install new baseboard.
I have used "Liquid Nails" for sub floors. This does not get rock hard.
My Question: What would be the BEST product to use to fill in this gap.
Is this the right product to use. I would also put some small wood shims under the 2x4 sill before putting any filler.
Thanks

PS: This is my 1st Post. I initially put it in General Discussion and did not know how to 'move' it to this one. Hope that is ok.

takes-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

Your post seems a bit unusual. If there is a gap along all 8 feet, what exactly is holding up the sill beam? If it spans a full 8 feet with no support, that is unusual in my experience. However, you say you had an engineer look at it, so presumably they presented you with some sort of report explaining why the gap exists, and their opinion that this was not a structural issue. What did the engineer say about the need to fill it in, and what did they recommend to fill it with?

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

This room is about 2-3 feet below grade. So the floor where the gap is, is at about 2-3 feet.
They suggested:
After observing that there was no more movement and after I did the drainage repairs on the outside.. (Putting a greater slop away from the house) then adjust the wall tile and base board to cover the existing separation OR have pressure grouting.
Another Foundation Consultant said that it was probably more of the landscape problem than a foundation problem. That is the approach I am taking.
The room had tile installed with the baseboard being the same as the tile. I removed the baseboard tile and could see the gap.
Not sure how the sill is being held up at this point. That is why I wanted to put something under the sill to prevent any more separation. Isn't the sill suppose to support the wall? Nothing really holds the sill up, except for the foundation slab, right?
My intent is to put 3" shims under the sill then fill with something. Whatever I fill it with, should it be rock hard or flexible. The Liquid nails I tried so far does not get real hard.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

I am still confused, perhaps you can post a picture. You had two consultants look at this apparently, an engineer and a foundation consultant. Surely one of them explained what is holding up the sill. You are correct, the sill is supposed to be supported by the foundation, and the sill in turn supports the wall above it. I just don't understand what is holding up the wall if there is a large gap between the sill and the concrete foundation wall, but what is more difficult to understand is why your second consultant suggested this was a landscaping problem. Maybe you can start over in your discussion, post a picture or two, and we can discuss exactly what the problem is, and how to repair it.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

I tried to insert an image but it wants a URL link. How do I upload a pic from my computer?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,152

1) From reply to thread,clicking the paper clip icon or the manage attachments (below reply) takes you to the manage attachments window.
2) click on the browse button (located above the URL link)
3) this will open the file upload window. Maneuver thru your folders and select the photo. Click the open button.
4)That should return you to the manage attachments window. The photo name should appear to the right of the browse button. Further right is the upload button, click it. After a brief wait, a new section will appear (below the URL link) saying current attachments and should contain the file name of the photo.
5) you can close the manage attachments window. Your photo is attached to your reply. If you want to see it before posting, you can hit the preview post button.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
takes-time (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #7

here are some pics...The one with the gray filling is Liquid Nails but it is still soft after 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0567.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0568.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0569.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0570.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 780

The sill should be supported by the foundation, are you sure that this space goes through to the outside, that sure looks like a place for water to get in, or insects.

PL Construction adhesive gets hard. and will fill the gap if you decide that is the way to go. Me I would find another engineer.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #9

There is cinder block on the other side of wall. That crack is 2-3 ft. below the ground. There is no water problem, no sticking doors, no cracks in floor, etc. ... I just removed a sink that was against the outside wall and the wall had a little mold on it. The houses in this area are about 40 yr old.. I would think they have french drains but not sure.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
There is cinder block on the other side of wall.
Is that a concrete block wall that supports the structure ? Or ????
Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #11

This is a split level Home. The laundry room is the room with the problem. That room is on a Concrete Slab. That slab has the Cinder Block on the outside of the wall. Make sense??
Old 03-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

I am trying to figure out what wall is the structural wall supporting the roof (or room) above it. It sounds to me like the concrete block is the structure and the wood wall is just a finish inside of the concrete block.

If that is the case, your gap is cosmetic.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #13

I think you may be right.. I am going to remove the small piece of sheetrock. I should be able to see the structure better..
Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I am trying to figure out what wall is the structural wall supporting the roof (or room) above it. It sounds to me like the concrete block is the structure and the wood wall is just a finish inside of the concrete block.

If that is the case, your gap is cosmetic.
I agree.

Cosmetic, no fill needed, just recover it with your choice of wall material.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #15

Here are some more pics..
Looks like what we thought was the sillplate was a 2x2 frame. You can see the cinder block with the sillplate on top of that.
There was a little mold on the outside sheetrock but it was not penetrated as you can see by the one photo.
So with all of that now being 'seen' are there any other suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0578.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0581.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0582.jpg   Gap between Sill Plate and concreate slab-img_0584.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to takes-time For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-01-2014)