Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Share |

gap between concrete block and exterior brick?

Recently, I had part of the ceiling out in my basement bathroom. I noticed when I removed some insulation to run a 4" exhaust fan duct through the rim joist to outside that there is a 1 - 1.5" gap between my concrete block and the exterior brick. Does this sound right? I'm wondering cause I found a bunch of dead bugs, an acorn, and a big bee's nest between to floor joists near this gap. Should'nt there be something there to seal off this area?

Last edited by AndyH24; 01-02-2011 at 01:19 PM.
AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Andy,
Hard to tell without seeing a few more pics, but it looks like your brick is sticking up past the top of the block. It should be flush and then the sill plate would be sitting on top of both the block and the brick, flush with the outside edge of the brick. My guess is the bricklayer used jumbo bricks which are a bit taller then a standard brick and didn't end up flush. Normal size brick usually run three courses for an 8" tall block, jumbos are 2 1/2 courses for an 8" block. Not sure what part of the country you live in, but you could cut some 2x6 blocking to fit between the joists then caulk and seal.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It sounds like a classic proper construction of a brick veneer attached to a bearing wall where an air space (usually 1" or so) is required. This is assuming a brick veneer. Somehow, the critters got in through a weep or vent that was not screened. The acorns suggest a larger gap to allow a squirrel in, which is not good.

The sealing spot or opening is probably above the soffit area or low (which is unlikely because of the acorns).

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 01-02-2011 at 03:00 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply! I live in East TN. That's not good that they did that is it? Anyway, there is no way I could get to all of the spaces between the joists because there is a dywall ceiling in th finished half of my basement. I took some pics of the brick outside.

this is a pic of the brick underneath my back deck.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

another pic of brick under my deck. this looks like veneer maybe?

where would I even begin to look for an opening in a vent or weep? also I have been reaching over to the next joist and digging part of a bees nest out. what kind of bees build a nest like this?

here's some crappy pics of what remains of the nest. I cannot get to this part. Would you all tear part of a finished ceiling out to get to this to remove it?

Last edited by AndyH24; 01-02-2011 at 02:57 PM.