Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gap between backsplash and wall changes with season

I have an interesting problem where a large gap( nearly a quarter inch at the largest point) appeared between the backsplash of a kitchen counter and the wall, which is along an exterior wall. It appears to have been caulked before but has pulled away and opened. The house is 6 years old and I bought it about 16 months ago. The gap appeared last winter and then closed up in the summer but opened back up this winter. I suspect it is the wall "flexing" with the temperature because there are a few places where things on walls have shifted, like trim or small cracks in the drywall corners. I just fixed a bad corner that was either truss uplift or just bad drywall, not sure though.
Anyone seen this before and have any ideas of how to fix? I could caulk now while the gap is open, but I'm concerned about what may happen when it tries to close.

wvphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,912

Sounds like you have a wild stud or two---sometimes that just happens--only remedy I know is to open the wall and sister in a new stud or two----

Often the sink wall studs have so many holes drilled or cut into the framing that they are weak and move---Damn those plumbers with a sawsall.

---Mike-----

Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sounds like you have a wild stud or two---sometimes that just happens--only remedy I know is to open the wall and sister in a new stud or two----

Often the sink wall studs have so many holes drilled or cut into the framing that they are weak and move---Damn those plumbers with a sawsall.

---Mike-----
You should watch your plumber comments, there are a few toughy feely ones around here
Old 01-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Thats a very common problem that has no easy solution. If you build a new house, use engineered studs that will not warp or twist seasonally like regular 2x6s. Flexible caulk is your friend!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote