Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Gap B/ween Ceiling Corner Rafter and Top Plate -- Acceptable Or Not?

I was wondering how much, if any, of a gap between a corner ceiling rafter and the parallel top plate would be. I guess no gap would be ideal so that drywall can have a firm back in both sides of the corner. Please consider the illustrations.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Gap B/ween Ceiling Corner Rafter and Top Plate -- Acceptable Or Not?-ceiling_rafters_ideal.jpg   Gap B/ween Ceiling Corner Rafter and Top Plate -- Acceptable Or Not?-ceiling_rafters_gaps.jpg  

Last edited by amakarevic; 02-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I'm sure the illustration, is not drawn to scale? you're going to need to install a nailer of some sort at both ends, bottoms even with ceiling joists!

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

Every wall that runs parallel to the ceiling joists gets a "Nailer" for attaching drywall to (unless a joist falls within a few inches of the top plate). Usually a 2x6 set atop the wall plate overhanging on both sides.

If you are using trusses, you should use Nailers exclusively and avoid hard nailing your truss chords to your interior walls. Truss uplift will cause drywall cracks and in worst case scenario, lift the framing off the floor.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog
Every wall that runs parallel to the ceiling joists gets a "Nailer" for attaching drywall to (unless a joist falls within a few inches of the top plate). Usually a 2x6 set atop the wall plate overhanging on both sides.

If you are using trusses, you should use Nailers exclusively and avoid hard nailing your truss chords to your interior walls. Truss uplift will cause drywall cracks and in worst case scenario, lift the framing off the floor.
Don't think that ever happened to me (though I use blocking between the trusses or some kind of deadwood on the wall in question to tie the trusses to)
With the catwalks keeping the trusses motionless, they hold the walls straight and in place.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
Stay-at-home GC

I think it's a Regional thing. I'm not an Engineer but it probably has a lot to do with the size of the trusses and the quality of wood used in the truss chords as well.

We used to see it most aggressive on scissor style trusses in cathedral ceilings and usually the rest of the framing has to be pretty deficient for it to lift a wall.

They make hardware now (Simpson I believe) that allows the center of the bottom chord to rise and fall while still bracing them laterally to the center walls.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

The ends of the ceiling drywall can "float" to the wall requiring nailing within 7" or double nailing/screwing within 12". Depending which fastener used dictates the required distance from the wall to the ceiling joist. So a joist either 6" or 11" away is permitted from the drywall manufacturers, 5.2.1 = no backing on wall top for floating corner, Read all 4.9's for restrictions. Pics at Fig. 3, 4 here: http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/G...%20English.pdf

You don't have to fasten the top of sheets on a wall top plates, or bottom plate, unless you want to, other than shear wall or fire ratings:
4.8.2 Fasteners at gypsum panel product edges or ends shall
be located not less than 3/8 in. (10 mm) from the edge or end.
Except as specified in Section 4.9, fasteners at edges or ends
in a perpendicular application shall be located not more than
1 in. (25 mm) from the edge or end. Perimeter attachment into
partition top and bottom (sole) plates is neither required nor
recommended except
where fire ratings, structural performance
requirements, or other special conditions require such
attachment.

I would ADA your exterior walls after caulking the sheathing/stud/plate joints: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Gary
woodworkbykirk (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic
I was wondering how much, if any, of a gap between a corner ceiling rafter and the parallel top plate would be. I guess no gap would be ideal so that drywall can have a firm back in both sides of the corner. Please consider the illustrations.

Thanks
It's a ceiling joist....not a rafter.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
journeyman carpenter

regarding truss uplift.. insufficient insulation can cause it also.. by having too much of an extreme difference in temperature between the bottom chord and top chord can cause it

im with gbr on keeping drywall screws back 7" from the ege. it allows the sheet to flex just slightly without popping screws or the joint to crack
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Question

i still don't understand what exactly a nailer is
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #10

My definition of a nailer is drywall backing on top the wall with its edge and some material hanging over to fasten drywall ceiling to. If you want the extra backing along the wall and it is a very tight space to install, sometimes I install a 2"x2" piece of continuous metal flashing to the wall top plate with the "L" shape screwed to the wall and other edge backs-up the ceiling drywall next to the wall. You could also screw the ceiling drywall to it as it won't move (with truss deflection during the seasonal changes) attached there.

Truss up-lift, others are talking about, not your ceiling joists: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-but-strange/

Gary
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #11

Question

is this what you mean by nailers?
Attached Thumbnails
Gap B/ween Ceiling Corner Rafter and Top Plate -- Acceptable Or Not?-ceiling_rafters_nailers.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #12

That will work, just keep them at the on-center spacing for the required span of the drywall thickness.

Gary
amakarevic (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #13

Question

how about the room corners (the ones as viewed from the above, not the corners between the ceiling and walls)? what if i don't have anything to support the back of the drywall in the corner on the ceiling side (as shown in the exhibit), is there a danger of looseness?

thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
Stay-at-home GC

Those are typically referred to as "ladder blocking" and are used when you want to cantilever your rim joist past the exterior wall (as in a brick veneer situation) or to add stiffness to the rim joist.

They will work but they are technically not Nailers.

Here is a short one. They typically run the length of the top plate (Production Housing for speed) or are short blocks following the nail spacing of the drywall (Green)

Also check out Drywall Clips. They are a metal fastener that takes the place of the wood nailer.

The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #15

Question

now, what if the last ceiling rafter was about 2-3" away from the top plate but not butted to it all the way, would that eliminate the need for a nailer? in other words, if the edge of the ceiling drywall was resting fully on the wall framing but was 2-3" away from the ceiling framing? what is the acceptable distance?

thanks

Tags
ceiling, rafters