Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Gable Vent Nightmare!

We have determined that two of our gable vents are leaking during heavy rain/wind and it has caused a lot of damage. We had the roof inspected already and there are some issues but the water is coming in through the vents.

The builder has been dragging his feet for 15 months now (this is a new construction) and I need to have someone come over that can write up a report on what type of vents need to be installed to correct the problem. We already know that the vents he put in are notorious for leaking (I attached a picture).

I contacted a roofer already but he's not the right contractor. Can anyone tell me who I need to contact please.

Thank you,
Michaela
Attached Thumbnails
Gable Vent Nightmare!-imgp1484_resize.jpg  

Nikki526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Where are you located? I may be able to recommend someone.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #3

Gable Vent Nightmare!

We are in New Braunfels, TX (San Antonio area). I really appreciate any help you can give us, this has been very stressful

Michaela
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Gable Vent Nightmare!

While Michael is helping you, read to understand their function, starting on pp. 605: http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8a...0vents&f=false

Gary
Old 09-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #5

Gable Vent Nightmare!

those look like fypon or stylemark vents and should have had a drainage pan installed behind them,if you have a new home you may also have a ridge vent making this one unnecessary
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Thank you Gary!

Quote:
those look like fypon or stylemark vents and should have had a drainage pan installed behind them,if you have a new home you may also have a ridge vent making this one unnecessary
I know there are no drainage pans behind the vents, my husband and I went into the attic last time it rained to see where the water was coming in. (picture attached)

I don't think we have ridge vents, we have a metal roof but I really don't know much about roofing

Michaela
Attached Thumbnails
Gable Vent Nightmare!-imgp1464_resize.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

Gable Vent Nightmare!

oh there wood,they still need a drain pan but detailing it into the stucco would be nearly impossible,you should temporarily cover the outside with plastic and poke a few holes in it to keep out most of the water thats getting in the wall,have a ridge vent installed and get rid of the gable vent

so i guess you need a metal roof installer and a stucco installer

Last edited by Tom Struble; 09-12-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

Gable Vent Nightmare!

I don't think we have ridge vents, we have a metal roof but I really don't know much about roofing
Can you take a picture(and post it) of the very top of your roof. Or Google image 'metal roof ridge vents'.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #9

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Quote:
Can you take a picture(and post it) of the very top of your roof.
Here are some of the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Gable Vent Nightmare!-imgp1490_resize.jpg   Gable Vent Nightmare!-imgp1488_resize.jpg   Gable Vent Nightmare!-imgp1491_resize.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #10

Gable Vent Nightmare!

no the ridge is not vented,but looking at the roof im not sure a gable vent is very effective anyway,i lieu of having a vented ridge installed,i would recommend the vent being removed and a better quality more weather resistant vent be installed with proper drainage
don't delay this for too long or you will be facing some major damage to your home
Old 09-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #11

Gable Vent Nightmare!

the roof looks nice though
federer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Chicago, IL

Gable Vent Nightmare!

From the exterior that looks a bit like a Fypon FPRLV, but I think it's conventional built-up mill work (visible junctions in the circumference at 1, 2 and 7 o'clock, and the slightly irregular louvers).

--------------

Per the OP this problem is present at other houses of the same design, and based on the pictures that leak looks more like a design than an installation issue.

As others have noted a pan flashing (a "sill pan", so to speak) would be difficult to install (it would have to follow the shape of the lower half of the window, or water might still be rotting out the sheathing below the angled lower portions and above a pan below the lower horizontal portion of the window) and difficult to detail out to provide correct drainage, and in any case would not protect the wooden portions of the vent assembly from deterioration.

So if the OP wants to preserve gable venting, it looks to me like the vent would have to be replaced with a properly designed and installed unit.

I occasionally find such leaking gable vents, and at least here in Chicago repair usually involves two trades: a carpenter to install the new vent, and a stucco contractor to repair the stucco, and they need to talk to each other to insure the job is done properly.

-------------

As someone else has noted, these leaks should be addressed immediately as water from a gable vent can damage materials for a considerable distance below.

Here's an example from a recent water intrusion inspection where the cause of ceiling damage in a first-floor window bay was the result of a leak at a wooden vent 1.5 stories above and traveling down inside stucco and brick veneer walls, prior to correctly identifying the source as the gable vent, the owner had spend a considerable amount of time and money fixing various other supposed "causes" of damage at the bay:

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 09-13-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
slickgt1 (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #13

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
i would recommend the vent being removed and a better quality more weather resistant vent be installed with proper drainage don't delay this for too long or you will be facing some major damage to your home
We don't even want to talk about the damage that has already been done The really sad part is that they knew about the leak during construction. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #14

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Michael: I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this and I have a good idea where to start now. I wish I would have found this board a long time ago. The pictures you posted pretty much describe what is happening at my house unfortunately

Thanks again,
Michaela

Last edited by Nikki526; 09-13-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #15

Gable Vent Nightmare!

Can anyone recommend a good manufacturer for these types of vents. I actually know someone who has the same problem, at least that is my theory. Thanks.

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote