Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Gable ladder (fly) rafters, or lookouts

Whatever name you prefer, I have a question on how far they are allowed to extend out vs how far they extend back into the attic. I am of the understanding that the ratio is 1:1. A "normal" gable end stick-out is often 2', so the first truss, to which said ladder rafters abutt, should be inset 2' from the gable truss. It is my understanding that this "balance" will prevent lifting of the first truss if, say, the ladder rafters instead stuck out 4' and back in only 2'. (Gable truss is the fulcrum.) If 1:1 is the recommended ratio, how far can you push that if you assume a 30-40 psf snow load? 1.5 out to 1 in? 2 out to 1 in? We will assume that the supporting member (fly/ladder rafter) is strong enough to hold the load. All I am concerned about is the ratio of stick-out to stick-in. Thanks.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

Unfortunately, I don't think code gives specific guidance for lookouts.

The rule of thumb ratio for cantilevering is 2:1, but for rafter lookouts, you typically you just go back to first common rafter (assuming it's at normal spacing from gable wall). Typically, lookouts don't extend more than 2', and I would caution against exceeding that. If you're going 2' and with that much snowload, I would do so only with 24" OC rafter spacing, and install the lookouts on edge, not flat. That latter, however, requires the gable rafter/truss to be sized accordingly (3-1/2" below common rafters profile).

If you can't install the lookouts on edge, I'd stick with 1' max overhang.

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
joecaption (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Code, believe it or not, allows 2x4, 24" OC, to stick out 2' even if the 2x4 is flat. That does not rest well w/ me, but the truss guy said it is acceptable. I have no use for a 2x4 on its side. I used 7' x 2 x 6 on my shop, sticking out 3', 2x6 on edge, and a drop gable and drop first truss. That is apparently good for 4'. I am nervous about exceeding 1:1 on the stick-out vs stick-in, but I hear a "little fudging" is OK. Dunno. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Code, believe it or not, allows 2x4, 24" OC, to stick out 2' even if the 2x4 is flat.
Perhaps local code. I just double checked the 2012 IRC. I see no guidance on lookout construction.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

i erred when i said code, to be brief. the truss guy, in agreement w/ a few others who build, is what i meant by "code". sorry about that. thanks for looking it up. j
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #6

Check for local rules in addition to the IBC you follow. Certain areas are stricter for snow, high wind, etc.; e.g.- R4506.7; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j..._SJBt4rFbCfdFg

Gary
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #7

very good info gary, thanks.