Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 123

Gable end framing

My house under construction will have brick up to the level of bottom of end truss and vinyl siding on the gable. It is a block house (see photo) with 6/12 trusses for roof. The plan was to have two by twelves as the roof seal plate and have the end truss set on the edge overhanging the brick. The person that is going to help me frame is not sure that is a good idea and thinks the truss should set over the block and furr out the four inches to have the Osb and vinyl.
Would it help if I nailed a two by six to the bottom edge of the two end trusses and let that be inside and nailed to the 2 by 12? This is probably a common situation and please advise on the accepted way to proceed.

Thanks
JM
Attached Thumbnails
Gable end framing-image.jpg  

ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

Gable end framing

I would double the 2 by 12 before I would fir it out. I am guessing it is not going to be inspected since you don't ask your engineer or building inspector.

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Gable end framing

Let the side wall plates hang out from the block when you install them. Then you can rest the end truss on these cantilevered plates. We have done this many times.

Or you could have the mason install the brick first which would give you something solid to rest on. Either way is fine.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 123

Gable end framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Let the side wall plates hang out from the block when you install them. Then you can rest the end truss on these cantilevered plates. We have done this many times.

Or you could have the mason install the brick first which would give you something solid to rest on. Either way is fine.
Thanks for the reply. We are doing the brick first and I will post photo I just took a few minutes ago. The mason has only finished the wall shown and the brick and block are not exactly at the same height. The brick is about 3/8 inch lower. This is mainly due to the window locations and his trying to hit a happy medium on the brick at the windows and at the top. The j bolts are ten inch and in completely filled block work. I was thinking about taking some two or three inch wide 3/8 bar stock and bending angles with one leg about 12 inches and the other about 5 and bolt this to the j bolts and the short side into the bottom of truss. This would not only take the force off the edge of the 2 by 12 but would tie the end trusses down many times over a Simpson strap. I Have access to a iron worker machine at the local state vocational school.
Attached Thumbnails
Gable end framing-image.jpg  
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Gable end framing

You could probably lay some 1/2" sill sealer board over the brick to make up the height difference. I wouldn't be too concerned about tying directly to the face brick. As long as you are properly strapped/bolted to the block, you are fine.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
ddsrph (09-05-2014)