Furring Out Rafters - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furring out rafters

We are finishing our attic, making it a living space. The rafters are 2x4's, 24 on center. In order to get a high enough R value and have ventilation space behind the insulation we need to furr out the rafters. We are planning on using 2x4's to get to an R20. We were advised to attatch them with construction adhesive and screws. Can anyone point me to or give me a better description of exactly how to do this?

Advertisement

Kjl3694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Furring out rafters

http://www.ehow.com/how_12193418_bui...nsulation.html

Advertisement

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

Furring out rafters

I'm confused how would there be room for foam baffles for ventalation, (about 1-1/2") and R19 insulation which is about 6" thick fit in a 5" space?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (06-29-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Furring out rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'm confused how would there be room for foam baffles for ventalation, (about 1-1/2") and R19 insulation which is about 6" thick fit in a 5" space?
The house is over 100 years old, the rafters are true 2x4's. Adding 31/2" to the existing 4" rafter will give me enough room for 51/2" high density roll R20 and give me 2" for ventilation.

The linked article talked about using furring strips. I'm looking to use 2x4's i'm having a hard time imagining I'm supposed to drive a nail through that and into the rafter? We may also go to 2x6's so that we can get to R30. How much differance would we notice by upping to that R value?
Kjl3694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Furring out rafters

a 2x6 would be better regarding insulation value for sure. You will have fire block issues at the bottom of the fur strip because it will extend/plane the ceiling level down into the open wall cavity area. The regular wall top plate design in a wall system is what I'm referring to. You will need to add the correct wall blocking in the wall at the new ceiling height, just emulate the top plate design. I would add/nail 9" 2x4 blocks onto the side of existing rafters and then use the 2x4 blocks to nail the fur strips to along with a good nail connection up at the roof ridge and down at the wall. consider adding a flat section at the top of the ceiling to serve as collar ties to help hold everything together as well.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote