Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Furring out a 2x4 wall to a 2x6 wall

We live in Wisconsin and are remodeling a home built in the 1950's. As a result of removing a load bearing wall we are furring out our initial 2x4 walls to 2x6 to accommodate the supporting posts and to increase the insulation in the walls (which was only 1 1/2" thick) to receive 6" fiberglass (which we purchased a few years ago on sale). As a result of our investigation (and insight gained on this website) we have realized one of the drawbacks is the Thermal Bridging of the studs. I have looked at the options on the building science web site site and have developed an alternative solution to reduce the Thermal Bridging while still being able to use our existing materials at hand.

I have provided an attachment to illustrate the concept which is basically using a modified offset approach with a polyiso layer between the existing framing and the furring strip. I know it looks like a lot of work but it makes the best sense to me in terms of using what I already have on hand while reducing the thermal bridging.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how I can reduce the thermal bridging, or if this approach would/or would not fly with existing codes?
Attached Files
File Type: doc SuggestedFramingOption.doc (76.0 KB, 286 views)
artandpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #2

You would still have thermal bridging every where the spacers are in stalled, you won't be able to use your 6" insulation. Why not just install offset 2X4 stubs between the existing studs, You can the weave your insulation behind them.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hayewe farm For This Useful Post:
artandpats (08-09-2010), BigJim (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
You would still have thermal bridging every where the spacers are in stalled, you won't be able to use your 6" insulation. Why not just install offset 2X4 stubs between the existing studs, You can the weave your insulation behind them.
Can you describe what you mean by offset?
Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

Install a spacer along the sill and top plate and install the intermidiate studs out to the 6 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Furring out a 2x4 wall to a 2x6 wall-offset.jpg  
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the drawing. It helps me understand what you are suggesting. I will mention this to our inspector when we meet with him this week.