Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Funky Odor in Garage

Hi there! A friend of mine recently bought a townhome. His garage has this funky - almost rotten garbage - type smell. He had the lower half of the drywall removed to see if there were any dead critters in the walls which ended up just being a waste of time and effort. Two things we recently found out were: 1) the previous owner had a fridge in the garage which broke and flooded a portion of the garage with rancid liquids, etc. 2) There is an exposed clean-out plug that goes directly into the bathroom. So now we're thinking that the smell could be a result of one of those two things.

Thoughts on that?

My friend was advised to acid etch the concrete slab and cover with an epoxy or diamond sand the concrete slab then apply the epoxy (no acid etch). Do either of those sound like a good solution? Before we spend some money and tackle this ourselves, we want to make sure that these solutions might solve the problem.

Thanks folks!!!

Mike

mikeyp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Funky Odor in Garage

Does the odor get stronger (you will need to get on the ground and get your nose next to it) in the supposed "rancid spill" area?

Before going through all that trouble of etching with acid, I would try pouring some straight laundry bleach on it, let it sit for a while and rinse it off to see if it makes a difference.

As far as the cleanout plug causing the smell, simply wrap a large plastic around the top and seal it with duct tape to see if the smell goes away.

If none of the above makes any difference, can you open the garage door(s) for awhile and (again) use your nose to smell around the garage to identify the offending spot or spots?

Many garage studs have fireblocks about midway up the wall and can potentially have dead things on or above it.

Good luck

PS. I presume that your friend lives in NJ as well? Being that I also live in NJ, his townhouse is not near a dump or some chemical factory, correct?

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allthumbsdiy For This Useful Post:
mikeyp78 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Funky Odor in Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy View Post
Does the odor get stronger (you will need to get on the ground and get your nose next to it) in the supposed "rancid spill" area?

Before going through all that trouble of etching with acid, I would try pouring some straight laundry bleach on it, let it sit for a while and rinse it off to see if it makes a difference.

As far as the cleanout plug causing the smell, simply wrap a large plastic around the top and seal it with duct tape to see if the smell goes away.

If none of the above makes any difference, can you open the garage door(s) for awhile and (again) use your nose to smell around the garage to identify the offending spot or spots?

Many garage studs have fireblocks about midway up the wall and can potentially have dead things on or above it.

Good luck

PS. I presume that your friend lives in NJ as well? Being that I also live in NJ, his townhouse is not near a dump or some chemical factory, correct?

Isn't everything( next to a dump or chemical factor) in NJ?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Funky Odor in Garage

the toxic overflow could have seeped under and soaked up into the walls also, that would be hard to access and bleach away...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
mikeyp78 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Funky Odor in Garage

I assume there are no floor drains or laundry sinks on the area that may have a dry trap?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Funky Odor in Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy View Post

Good luck

The odor is definitely stronger towards the entrance into the house - where the fridge (the one that leaked the rancid water everywhere) used to be. It is also right around the location of the cleanout plug.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Funky Odor in Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I assume there are no floor drains or laundry sinks on the area that may have a dry trap?

No floor drains or laundry sinks.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #8

Funky Odor in Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Isn't everything( next to a dump or chemical factor) in NJ?

Closest chemical factory is about 5 miles... dump is about 15 miles (that's in PA, though). Trust me, I have campaigned to move out of this state for years... my wife doesn't want to move.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #9

Funky Odor in Garage

wrap and seal that clean out to see if the problem goes away.

if your nose says its the concrete, you can rent a small electric demolition hammer and remove 2-3" from the top.

good luck
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
JOATMON

Funky Odor in Garage

If you get the floor wet...does it change the smell? Make it stronger? If so...then it's your floor.

If bleach does not work....try ammonia....or vinegar

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 09-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete floor, garage, odor, smell, smells