Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |

Full Bath Addition

I have a porch on my house that is connected to the house on all three sides and it already has a roof on it. I want to turn it into a full bath. I know how to do the plumbing and electrical very well, but how do I frame this? The porch is about 6x10. The porch is concrete so should i leave it there and build ontop of it or remove it? It seems to be in good condition. Its a bit overgrown from when I first bought it as a foreclosure.

1) I assume 2x4's are good enough for the wall vertical supports?

2) How do I connect into the cement porch if I do leave it? Do I need special concrete screws? I assume I should use treated wood anywhere it touches the concrete?

3) How do I connect to the ceiling? Are double 2x4s good or do I need 2x6's or something stronger?

4) Can I remove and resuse the same aluminum siding? Will it look cheesy? The reason I ask is because the house is three stories tall and I don't want to reside everything if at all possible. I measured and there should be enough between it and another porch that I will be working on.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Full Bath Addition-dscf1205.jpg   Full Bath Addition-dscf1206.jpg  

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Full Bath Addition

You will need a permit. At this point they may require the footings be checked out to see if they are sufficient for "living space" The porch does not require the same structure. If okay you can apply a sill insulation under the pressure treated base plate. This will act as a capillary break. Otherwise the moisture in the concrete will wick into the plate and then up into the studs and drywall. Also I would insulate the floor with 1" foam boards then 5/8" - 3/4" T & G plywood screwed with tapcons into the concrete. Then floor heat followed by Ditra and then tile. I would 2X6 walls to get enough insulation in the walls. Remove the ceiling and get R30 insulation there also allowing room to ventilate the roof. The siding can be used if you can get it removed without damage. Not likely you will do this. A single top plate will work. Double is better with overlapped plates at the corners.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote