Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Frustrating yellow bleed through on plaster

I have been attempting to repair badly water damaged plaster walls in a 90 year old brick house. In some cases I've had to remove the wall back to the interior brick and rebuild. Other places I've been able to scrape the crumbling plaster back to what feels like solid wall then begin applying layers of Sheetrock Easy Sand 90 Lightweight Setting-type joint compound.

Problem: I continue to find patches of yellow-orange coloration that bleeds from the old plaster wall through the new joint compound. These places are not only unsightly but are prone to flaking. In some cases, whole patches of dried plaster just falls off when I go to scrape it in preparation for the next layer. This is hellishly frustrating as I've tried Water-based KILZ, Oil-based KILZ and PVA to try to block this effect.

Is this some kind of mold or other organism that has taken up residence in the wet plaster? Am I doomed to tear all the plaster out just to get rid of it?

Last edited by CraigSMc; 07-18-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: hit return by accident
CraigSMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this plaster directly on a solid brick wall(not veneer brick)?
Is the brick wall wet or moist? It could be the minerals from the brick or mortar are leaching out to the plaster, depositing salts in the wet plaster.
How was the brick wall tested for dryness before the plastering process started?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ron,

The brick wall is solid.

Other walls that I've opened up (pulled all the plaster back to the brick) have been musty and wet. I had the roof repaired, but it appears that a good deal of water was already in the wall. Those walls that I've opened, dried by leaving a dehumidifier in the room for several days, and then re-plastered with Structolite seem to not have this problem.

I do not know how to test for dryness other than smell and touch.
CraigSMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Moisture meter is what you want.
You can't assume all the walls were at the same level of, "wet". Walls facing South and West will dry faster then walls facing North and East. Unless some walls got wetter to begin with, or trees are shading some walls, etc. Bottom line is that the wall needs to be dry and you need to that before you start finishing them. Because if you don't... well you know what happens.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleed, plaster, water damage