Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Front Porch new support columns - Temp support - Need advice

Hello, Iam a new user looking for a little bit of advice. We moved in this old house less than a year ago and we have alot of DIY to do.

We need to replace/reinforce atleast 2 of those columns.

Now iam thinking that pouring concrete around the columns would do a cosmetics job at best?

My solutions is to have some temp support in place and destroy the colums, pour a new(larger) footing, build a new block colums.

The temp support is where I need some advice. My opinions is that tripling up the joist and rim joist (one outside, one inside), then placing a cross beam, using temporary wood footing and jacking it up with a 12 ton jack each side should be enough.(last picture)

Anyone here has some real inputs they can give me? A better solution?

Thanks alot in advance!!

louis-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
DIY staff

Does the porch need lifting? If so. how much?

If all you want to do is temporarily hold up the deck---that is fairly straight forward---

Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #3

No it does not really need lifting, by lifting i meant barely enough to remove the weight from the column and do the work.
Would you see any inconveniences into leaving the tripled up joist in place after the work? They would sit on the new column anyway and i would glue and screw them in place.
Thanks for the answer.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
DIY staff

Leaving your reinforced rim joist is not an issue if you like the look---

I do suggest using two or four lag bolts into the porch post---that is resting on the foundation blocks and might not be secured to the rim joist very well---
louis-123 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Have you talked to your zoning officer/building inspector about permits and procedures. Before you get to far, I would contact him to make sure it is done the way he wants it done.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

Landfillwizard, will do for sure, last time i walked in the director of the permit division office and talked with him straight up. I ended needing no permit, but this time since its somehow structural, its a whole other ball game!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #7

Just use a 2x6 from ground angled up to beam next to were post is. No need to reinforce anything just to jack it up unless it needs it permanently. I cant tell how deep porch is. If it is over 8' then i would use doubled 2x6. Notch front side of 2x6 at top. Angle the bottom a little. Lay another small board on ground to put temp post on. Use sledge hammer to straighten temp post up which will jack up roof a little. If leaving temp post for extended time drive a stack into ground so temp post doesnt kickout.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #8

It looks good and level, I would chip off the stucco and see what you got before making any major decisions. Then I would strip the deck, replace any bad wood, add the trim, and paint.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 AM   #9

we have to repl a twist'd main carrybeam in a crawl space,,, we'll crib w/6 x 6's & use 20t hyd jacks to lift joists 1/16" - don't need much to free it up

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

So i went to the city hall yesterday afternoon and talked with one of the inspector giving out the permits and explained the work we planned on doing.

He said we should not have any issue getting the permit if we plan on doing the work the way I described it. He asked if i could provide some kind of basic plan of the project, what is the budget for materials and to provide a work schedule.

It should all be gravy!

Reading certain comments, maybe its a little overkill, but id rather be safer than sorry. And I want to do this work and that it last for a long time.

Edit, once the plan is done, ill post it here and update this post when the work is done (when the snow will be melted!)