Front Porch Crosshatch. Alternatives To The Same Old 45 ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Front porch crosshatch. Alternatives to the same old 45 ?

My existing PT cross hatch under the front porch is falling apart. Before I replace it with PVC white of the same, is there a better alternative?

It just seems like the old 45 crisscross is a little over done and blah.

Advertisement

tgm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

i was reading a deck book recently that had a really neat idea, though not sure if it is diy or not.. but anyway, they had a brown coloured composite deck and took two 16' pieces of white compesite and sandwitched it between some pink insulation batts. then they put a heater along the length in the insulation sandwitch and measured the temp until certain temp was reached and held it there for a bit. then, when they took it out it was completely moldable so they made a figure 8 out of it (clamped in a form until it cooled & hardented). then they putt on the brown deck and traced it out and then cut the brown deck along the trace and then incerted the white composite figure 8. looked pretty cool.

Knucklez

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 512

Spice it up with some details
Attached Thumbnails
Front porch crosshatch.  Alternatives to the same old 45 ?-imag0676.jpg  
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Spice it up with some details
Huh....that picture is interesting: They brought the crosshatch right to the corner of the porch where it met the other side. There was no trim in the corner. That's different from what I've seen before.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
i was reading a deck book recently that had a really neat idea, though not sure if it is diy or not.. but anyway, they had a brown coloured composite deck and took two 16' pieces of white compesite and sandwitched it between some pink insulation batts. then they put a heater along the length in the insulation sandwitch and measured the temp until certain temp was reached and held it there for a bit. then, when they took it out it was completely moldable so they made a figure 8 out of it (clamped in a form until it cooled & hardented). then they putt on the brown deck and traced it out and then cut the brown deck along the trace and then incerted the white composite figure 8. looked pretty cool.

Knucklez
That really would be an interesting inlay into the decking itself. I'm talking about the crosshatch in front (visually below the deck).
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

There’s all kinds of different details you can do. I’m actually doing one now that will be a sectioned raised panel look that will work nicely for “this house”, maybe not yours though.

Post a picture from a street view of the porch and house.

Advertisement