Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

Front "porch" building

Howdy knowledgable folks,

I have a quick question on options for building a front entrance stairs to our house. It's not a proper "porch" since the front of the house is an enclosed veranda with cedar shingle siding below the windows, but we still want some elements of a classic porch entrance: 6" newels, railings and risers in white, the steps likely in dark gray. It will be 4-5 steps, so fairly high, and a 3' platform in front of the door.

Anywho, my question is with respect to the choice of wood. As I understand, the standard choice should boil down to pressure treated lumber or cedar (western red let's say...)? Price would not be a major factor between the two, because of the small size of the entrance. I imagine cedar would be better in the long run, but is there a major difference in durability? Are there other (obvious) options I should explore?

Also, with respect to the "white", I presume that a good opaque stain should suffice for either cedar or PT lumber? Anyone have experience with stuff like Benjamin Moore's Arborcoat? Any other recommendations for good quality white opaque stain.

I know this seems like a basic thing, but I just want to get my bearings straight here... We sank a lot of time, effort and money into this house and I really don't want to screw up the entrance... Finishing touch, but an important one. Thanks in advance!

Tom

manbitesfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Front "porch" building

Bet you'll get some better suggestion on what will look nice of you would post a picture of the area where it's going.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Front "porch" building

you know it joe ....

they don't have to be big 8 x 10 glossies ..... but a few snaps of the camera may lead to some intelligent replies

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #4

Front "porch" building

Right... I always forget that part... :P Geographically, we're in Montreal, Quebec. As far as the pic goes, what I'm really looking for is advice on materials/stains. What is a typical choice of wood for building an exposed porch that will be colored opaque? PT Lumber, Cedar? Does it matter? I'm under the impression that cedar has great anti-decaying/rotting properties and I would prefer it to PT lumber. But is there an alternative? Can you use regular pine as long as it's painted?

Last edited by manbitesfilm; 08-29-2012 at 12:06 AM.
manbitesfilm is offline   Reply With Quote