Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

front of my shower where the floor is rotten = Help?!

Help! I have a serious issue with my upstairs bathroom floor... There is a corner just in front of my shower where the floor is rotten. It sinks several inches when pressed on and water is also leaking from the upstairs shower into my cabinets in the wall of my downstairs bath... There was already a drop ceiling in my downstairs bath when I bought the place and when this leak started the tiles got destroyed and several fell revealing a gaping hole where there used to be a plaster ceiling (some edges are still there) and now I'm wondering if this has been an issue previously.... If it has been then perhaps I need to do a full demolish of the upstairs bath??? Maybe I just need the new floor and to figure out what is causing the damage? I'm a divorced mom with 4 kids and no child support. I only make 42000 a year so I'm on a VERY tight budget... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Brandirob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

There's no easy cheap fix for this one.
Four kids tells me for years they have been splashing water on that floor.
(I know my kids did)
Unless you have all the tools and know how your stuck with having to hire it out. We can help with how to do it part, just not sure how to try and manage your day to day life and undertake a bathroom remodel. My heart goes out to you. Trust me your not alone.
DO you or your girl friends know someone that knows what he's doing to give you a hand?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

just a thought .... not saying it's a good one

check and see if you have a vocational school in your area that is looking for a project. sometimes (I know where I used to live) their was an adult vocational school that taught building construction, and a high school voc-tech that did the various trades. They liked finding projects where the person would purchase the materials and the students did the work. Taught skills and saved on materials for classes. Not saying it would be the same level of craftsmanship, but when you don't have much money to spend every little bit helps

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Where are you located?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Hi,

You need to investigate the source of the problem and the extent of the damage.

I would suggest that the bath/ shower need refitting and resealing - but it could be a plumbing leak. The water may have caused rot in the floor boards, but it could also affect joists, if it has been wet for a long time.

I short I would get a professional in to take a look. Sorry!
Gissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #6

Do you see the leak when someone is taking a shower upstairs or does it leak all the time?

Until you can figure out what is causing this leak, I would minimize the use of this bathroom (I know, that must be an impossible task with 4 kids).

I would not necessarily assume the worst just yet. It might have been like that for a long time for all you know.

Can you take some pictures from different angles and post them here?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #7

I'm in Illinois. You can see the water dripping into the downstairs cabinets when someone is using the upstairs shower. I have stopped the kids from using the upstairs bath, but it is highly inconvenient as we now have to stagger wake up times so there are less fights... Yes, I can take some pics but it won't be until wed or thurs that I will get them posted.
Brandirob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #8

Since it only drips when the shower is in use we know its a plumbing issue. The drop ceiling and plaster remnants are a sure sign that this was a problem before. If the floor is moving that much then you unfortunately it must come out. A full demo isn't absolutely necessary if you can't afford it. You will also need to fix the source of the leak. Since its only when the shower is on its either the drain or the mixing valve. Hope this helps!

FTF-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, rotten, subfloor, upstairs