Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |

Front entrance problems

My home's front entrance consists of several big stones.
There are some gaps betweens the big stones.
Please suggest solutions to the problems.
The gap as shown in the attached files 1 and 2 is between concrete and stone, should I cover the gap with concrete?
The gaps as shown in the attached files 3, 4 and 5 are between adjacent stones. I had moved the stones last year horizontally so that there are no gaps. However, the gap reappear this year.
Another problem is that the stones are not even vertically. I had moved the stones last year and leveled the small stones underneath, then moved the stones back. However, the stones become uneven vertically again this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Front entrance problems-entrance-001.jpg   Front entrance problems-entrance-002.jpg   Front entrance problems-entrance-003.jpg   Front entrance problems-entrance-004.jpg   Front entrance problems-entrance-005.jpg  

albertkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
DIY staff

Front entrance problems

I suggest that you look at some magazines at the library to get a few ideas---

obviously the slabs have to go---a concrete step will look nice---paving blocks are a friendly DIY project

You need to look at other houses and get an inspiration---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #3

Front entrance problems

Does someone need to get in via wheel chair, or is there a reason for the sloped entrance? I would dig out the slope and create a step if possible. Can still use the big blocks and it will look much cleaner.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Front entrance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Does someone need to get in via wheel chair, or is there a reason for the sloped entrance? I would dig out the slope and create a step if possible. Can still use the big blocks and it will look much cleaner.
There is no one to get in via wheel chair. When I bought the house, it had the sloped entrance.
Do you mean dig out the slope and create a step but keep all the big blocks?
Should I cover the gap between concrete and stone (shown in the attached files 1 and 2) with concrete?

Last edited by albertkao; 07-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Front entrance problems

Those 6 stippled concrete slabs look like they will just left up and they seem to be laying on a traditional concrete slab. I would remove the inclined underslab and just reinstall the stippled units on a good base.
If the slab by the door is properly pitched away from the house, you can seal the gap with a self leveling sealer that's used to replace old expansion joints. Masonary supply stores sell it as well as Home Depot. If the slot is deep, install some backing rod(comes in many widths) so you don't need to fill more then an inch with the sealer.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #6

Front entrance problems

Actually in your last pic it looks as though the slope is made with bricks as a base, in which case the job is easy. I would pull up the big slabs, remove the slope vie digging dirt, pulling bricks, or breaking concrete depending on what you find, then lay the big slabs back down flat. You'll have a step up to your porch but I think it will look cleaner.

Ron answered your gap question.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Mod

Front entrance problems

I agree with Mike, those slabs have to go. Time to put your design hat on. I can see a nice little deck coming off that front door.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #8

Front entrance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Those 6 stippled concrete slabs look like they will just left up and they seem to be laying on a traditional concrete slab. I would remove the inclined underslab and just reinstall the stippled units on a good base.
If the slab by the door is properly pitched away from the house, you can seal the gap with a self leveling sealer that's used to replace old expansion joints. Masonary supply stores sell it as well as Home Depot. If the slot is deep, install some backing rod(comes in many widths) so you don't need to fill more then an inch with the sealer.
Ron
How to determine whether the slab by the door is properly pitched away from the house?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #9

Front entrance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Actually in your last pic it looks as though the slope is made with bricks as a base, in which case the job is easy. I would pull up the big slabs, remove the slope vie digging dirt, pulling bricks, or breaking concrete depending on what you find, then lay the big slabs back down flat. You'll have a step up to your porch but I think it will look cleaner.

Ron answered your gap question.
Yes, the slope is made with bricks as a base.
Underneath the big slabs are small stones.
Do I level the bricks, then add small stones underneath the big slabs if necessary?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #10

Front entrance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertkao View Post
How to determine whether the slab by the door is properly pitched away from the house?
Pour water on the slab and see which way it flows. It should flow away fro the door.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote