Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

front door jam repair

recently had my storm door go krazy during a storm and busted the jam on the door. so its not the interior ,where i could remove moulding and cut out bad. really unsure of what to do . maybe remove storm door and then can i access it? just dont wanna replace the whole frame...... alittle outta my tech abilites...

settinhooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #2

front door jam repair

Replacing a jamb on a modern door is not simple. It is attached to the top and threshold. For the type damage you have, it is easier to cut out the damaged part and replace it. Sometimes the damaged part can even be glued back in place. But when you reinstall that storm door closer, use long screws that go into the house framing, not just into the door jamb.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #3

front door jam repair

Well Hooks,

If you could possibly provide a picture, it would be easier for us to assess the issue and it would also avoid us from asking many questions.

However to get you started, I would look into renting the following tool for the job. MultiMaster

Just a hint: You'll be hard pressed to find any contractor willing to part with his multimaster tool. So borrowing it from someone may be out of the question.

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #4

front door jam repair

The jamb is split from the storm door acting as a lever against the frame. If it's a simple split, you can glue and screw it back. If it splintered, you will need to remove that leg of the jamb and replace it.
The storm door frame will need to come off on the hinge side. Get some long screws. Long enough to go past the split part by 2-3". Drill pilot holes along the split. Force open the split and squeeze in an exterior rated wood glue into it. Work it in as deep as you can. Clamp the jamb so the face is on a single plane and screw it together. Let it dry for 24 hours and reinstall the storm door.
You'll probably need to replace the closers as they tend to bend being hyper extended.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote